• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Weimar Germany- A,B,C

They hated the Treaty for forcing impossible war reparations on them and the Allies for their intransigency.
It can never be emphasized enough that the sort of reparations imposed on Germany after WW1 were not out of the ordinary by the harsh standards of late 19th and early 20th international conflict resolution. On the contrary, the abnormal part of the whole affair was Germany's unwillingness to pay up, mostly on the reasoning that "We would have won if we hadn't lost".

Those sorts of reparations were usually used as ways of paying occupation armies until other clauses of the treaties were properly enforced too. Rarely for such extensive destruction and damage as the Central Powers had caused in the territories they had invaded because they had hardlly ever been done on such a scale between European powers for the preceding hundred years. Operation Alberich, to name but one, was a month-long sabotage of anything that could be used for basically any purpose until the regions were left empty, even of their inhabitants who were forcibly evacuated and forced to work for Germany.

When I was in school, the textbook had a political cartoon (it looked like Punch) about Versailles being too harsh from 1919 - I wouldn't expect that to be the mainstream thought but the idea goes far back. I assume this is in large part because it was a British political cartoon and Britain had minimal damage on home soil.

Similarly I sometimes wonder what the Belgian view of WW1 is. The British, Australian, Canadian, and American view is of this terrible pointless war we shouldn't have gone to and German actions were exaggerated for propaganda, but I bet you don't have that view if your country was invaded as a way of reaching another country and you weren't involved in the power politics of the time and you had slaves taken. (Then you get the weirdness, for me anyway, of the Wonder Woman film veering at random between "our WW1 Germans are basically early Nazis, boo hiss" and "what a nasty event, look at these baby faced Germans happy that Ares got stopped (forget that Diana slaughtered a bunch of them while heroic music boomed)")

Britain had minimal damage on home soil.

It had suffered extensive damage to its merchant fleet. Which was why it demanded a substantial part of the reparations (fair) and because Lloyd George was in campaign mode, set the bar for those reparations quite high, then was fine with them being lowered a lot during further negotiations and then in the various times in the 1920s while still insisting on the same percentage of the reparations (er...). I tend to think the UK missed a serious oppportunity in not accepting Clemenceau's offer of a more long-standing alliance and not recognizing that between devastation to its territory and still sluggish demography, France would not and could not become a European hegemon and could be worked with much closer than was the case OTL in the interwar period.

It had suffered extensive damage to its merchant fleet. Which was why it demanded a substantial part of the reparations (fair) and because Lloyd George was in campaign mode, set the bar for those reparations quite high, then was fine with them being lowered a lot during further negotiations and then in the various times in the 1920s while still insisting on the same percentage of the reparations (er...). I tend to think the UK missed a serious oppportunity in not accepting Clemenceau's offer of a more long-standing alliance and not recognizing that between devastation to its territory and still sluggish demography, France would not and could not become a European hegemon and could be worked with much closer than was the case OTL in the interwar period.

Absolutely agreed on this point, if not mistaken the very harsh reparations demanded by France were seen also as a way to cripple Germany in the absence of a system of collective security organised around France-UK-US, or definitely, that's how Clemenceau saw it, as a second/third-best scenario, given the economic and demographic damage France incurred.

I mean, the fact that the Foreign Office's Europe departments behaved as if the UK was a revisionist country (ehem Basil Newton ehem) and France could not really rely on them as an ally, even if they did not go full-on isolationist, like the US, was not helpful either.

Similarly I sometimes wonder what the Belgian view of WW1 is. The British, Australian, Canadian, and American view is of this terrible pointless war we shouldn't have gone to and German actions were exaggerated for propaganda, but I bet you don't have that view if your country was invaded as a way of reaching another country and you weren't involved in the power politics of the time and you had slaves taken.

I can tell you that Brussels has way more WWI monuments to the dead than WWII monuments. My understanding is that in the 1920s and 1930s, the Belgian political scene was divided between those who argued "absolute neutrality means absolutely not getting blitzed again" (e.g. Leopold III) and those who called for "extend[ing] the Maginot line through Belgium, let's be as close to France as possible".

Absolutely agreed on this point, if not mistaken the very harsh reparations demanded by France were seen also as a way to cripple Germany in the absence of a system of collective security organised around France-UK-US, or definitely, that's how Clemenceau saw it, as a second/third-best scenario, given the economic and demographic damage France incurred.

I have seen them described mostly as negotiating tactics: "If you won't give me collective security, I'll have to insist on this to guarantee national security on our lonesome, which no reasonable people would really consider, and I'm only putting it so high as an opening" and then being screwed by Wilson being Wilson with no idea what his lofty words meant (hello, Kennedy-come-early) and Lloyd George going along with him on that topic, while French nationalists pushed for that and more. Some wanted annexations beyond Alsace-Moselle being returned.

Back