• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

The Orthogonian Society

rough draft for the '76 Senate elections for the Ford Gets Shot idea

1976_senate.png

Gains (different from OTL)
CA: Alphonzo E. "Al" Bell Jr. d. John V. Tunney (+1 GOP)

Holds (different from OTL)
MO: Jerry L. Litton d. John C. Danforth (DEM hold)
NY: James L. "Jim" Buckley d. Bella S. Abzug (GOP hold)
OH: Robert A. Taft, Jr. d. Howard M. Metzenbaum (GOP hold)
RI: Philip W. Noel d. John L. H. Chafee (DEM hold)

Change in composition
Democratic: 61 -> 61 (-)
Republican: 37 -> 37 (-)
Independent: 1 -> 1 (-)

(from what i could tell, Sen. Buckley was caucusing with the Republicans before he won the Republican nomination for the seat so he's labelled as such for convenience)
this would make this one of the few Senate election cycles ITTL to have a net seat change of exactly 0 if canon

Last edited:
A very underused figure that would be perfect for Rockefeller's Republican Party - ended up being a John Anderson supporter in 1980.
Bell really does fascinate me - especially how he was never able to translate his charisma and stature in the CAGOP into electoral success beyond his SoCal district. he could've easily gone so much further were it not for that.

no spoilers - but i'm totally having him run as the liberal opposition to the eventual Republican nominee in '80 :p

"We know that this election is about the kind of America we will live in and the kind of America we will leave to future generations."
- Mitt Romney

"None of us can be satisfied with the status quo. Not by a long shot."
- Hillary Clinton

"What are some principles worth living by? Ask a roomful of people, and you will get a roomful of answers. There already exists a code of principles established thousands of years ago and adhered to by people from a variety of religious backgrounds. It has been accepted as a basis for appropriate behavior.

Fortunately, no one has copyrighted the Ten Commandments."
- Mike Huckabee​

2024 United States Presidential Election
ElectoralCollege2024.png
Governor Michael D. "Mike" Huckabee (Republican-FL) / Senator T. W. Shannon (Republican-OK) | 296 EVs | 29 states + ME-02
Vice President John W. Hickenlooper Jr. (Democratic-CO) / Senator Donna F. Edwards (Democratic-MD) | 240 EVs * | 21 states + D.C.
Senator Donna F. Edwards (Democratic-MD) / Vice President John W. Hickenlooper Jr. (Democratic-CO) | 1 EV | HI faithless elector

* One D.C. elector abstained from voting​

Last edited:
I HATE SELF-INDULGENT ALTERNATE HISTORY I HATE CONVERGENCE I HATE SELF-INDULGENT ALTERNATE HISTORY I HATE

ElectoralCollege2020_OTL.png
Representative George T. "Mickey" Leland (Democratic-TX) / Senator Tammy S. G. Baldwin (Democratic-WI) | 291 EVs | 24 states + D.C. + NE-02
President Donald J. Trump (Republican-FL) / Vice President Michael R. "Mike" Pence (Republican-IN) | 247 EVs | 26 states + ME-02

I like even when it’s self indulgent it’s still a fairly close run thing.
i was reading up on Mickey Leland since i was always a touch skeptical of him being portrayed as a progressive populist (turns out he really was) and it hit me that he would've been an ideal candidate for the left edges of the Democrats around now. man even learned Spanish for his constituents.
of course, he runs into Bernie's problem of being easily slandered as a crypto-communist and all that with his own political origins and leanings (and let's face it, racism), so i didn't want to make things too nice.
i'm not really one for things like this so i guess only dystopias from here on out ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

i was reading up on Mickey Leland since i was always a touch skeptical of him being portrayed as a progressive populist (turns out he really was) and it hit me that he would've been an ideal candidate for the left edges of the Democrats around now. man even learned Spanish for his constituents.
He’s up there with Fred Harris for actually achieving the Progressive Populist stuff in terms of character and beliefs (I enjoy Harris offering everyone who let him stay in there houses during the primaries to save on cost a chance to stay over at the White House)

He’s up there with Fred Harris for actually achieving the Progressive Populist stuff in terms of character and beliefs (I enjoy Harris offering everyone who let him stay in there houses during the primaries to save on cost a chance to stay over at the White House)
1626045227272.png
Time Enough, resident Fred Harris stan

1626864618801.png

The Ballad of Spendy Wendy
or: A Study in Accidental Parallelism

39. 1981 - 1985 | Former Governor Wendell R. "Wendy" Anderson (Democratic-MN) / Senator Adlai E. Stevenson III (Democratic-IL)
d. '80 | Vice President Robert J. "Bob" Dole (Republican-KS) / Mayor Vincent A. "Buddy" Cianci (Republican-RI)
40. 1985 - 0000 | Former Representative Guy A. Vander Jagt (Republican-MI) / Governor Anne M. Gorsuch Burford (Republican-CO)
d. '84 | President Wendell R. "Wendy" Anderson (Democratic-MN) / Vice President Adlai E. Stevenson III (Democratic-IL)
d. '88 | Former Vice President Adlai E. Stevenson III (Democratic-IL) / Governor Martha Layne Collins (Democratic-KY)

Idea: Senator Jerry Litton perishes in a plane crash all the same as OTL, but as he runs for President or reelection. Sharon - or Sherri - Litton is appointed in his stead, and being the activist she was carves a legacy in her own right (the Littons were a very tightly knit family, she even managed his earlier campaigns)

Idea: Senator Jerry Litton perishes in a plane crash all the same as OTL, but as he runs for President or reelection. Sharon - or Sherri - Litton is appointed in his stead, and being the activist she was carves a legacy in her own right (the Littons were a very tightly knit family, she even managed his earlier campaigns)
I could see that, maybe Sharon manages to get a Veep slot or something or Sherri runs for Senate eventually. It does remind me that it would likely be a similar outcome to Paul Wellstone shutting up shop in the mid 00s, with his wife and eventually his daughter likely to carry on his legacy in some degree.

I could see that, maybe Sharon manages to get a Veep slot or something or Sherri runs for Senate eventually. It does remind me that it would likely be a similar outcome to Paul Wellstone shutting up shop in the mid 00s, with his wife and eventually his daughter likely to carry on his legacy in some degree.
Pretty much. I was thinking a Carnahan parallel, obviously with a happier ending. There's a certain bittersweetness to the idea of Sherri picking up the torch - the Littons' demise occupies my mind much more than it should.

Back