• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Too Many Flags

Polyphemus

Some kind of robot
Pronouns
they/them
Lyndon Johnson expended a lot of diplomatic capital trying to convince other countries to join anti-communist forces in Vietnam, in an effort to replicate the multinational effort from the Korean conflict and deflect accusations of American imperialism. Despite courting several nations, his Many Flags program only managed to include troops from South Korea, Thailand, Australia, New Zealand, and the Philippines. Other nations sent logistical and medical support personnel but drew the line at sending combat soldiers.

Just for a thought exercise, what other pro-Saigon countries could have conceivably sent combat troops? I doubt they would have done anything to change the ultimate outcome, but what would that have done for the political landscape and military doctrine of those particular countries?

Last edited:
Are you sure of that? I read that LBJ asked Franco to send troops but Franco refused and, indeed, advised the US get out of there.

It is possible I'm remembering incorrectly, but I believe he had some initial enthusiasm but soured after a year or so of observing the situation and rebuffed Johnson when pressured for an additional commitment.

I thought I remembered rumors about both West and East German troops being involved on opposite sides in Vietnam; found this interesting article about the topic while searching. (The FRG provided some limited medical and logistical support at Johnson's request but felt too caged in by public opinion and the East German state press to do anything more - what could have tipped the balance?)

Wikipedia's claiming:

In addition, a number of other nations sent along small contingents of medical, transportation, construction and other experts as well as material help to the South Vietnamese government in Saigon.[8][9] These nations were: Afghanistan, Argentina, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Costa Rica, Denmark, Ecuador, France, Greece, Guatemala, Honduras, Iran, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Laos, Liberia, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Morocco, Netherlands, Norway, Pakistan, South Africa, Spain, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tunisia, Turkey, United Kingdom, Uruguay, Venezuela and West Germany.[8]

which is quite a few countries to pole at, but the source seems a bit obscure.

Here's an academic report on Many Flags and the Commonwealth that does confirm Canada and the UK sent some aid to South Vietnam, while also that Canada couldn't send troops due to being in the International Control Commission.

It also makes it clear you are not getting the UK to join in if Wilson is PM. There is, however, an interesting bit that in a 1965 Commons debate, there was some support in Commons that compared Vietnam to the Malayan Emergency (possibly because of a recent bombing in Saigon). The writer is arguing our attempts to get into the EEC were an influence on Vietnam policy too, not wanting to seem too tied to America like De Gaulle muttered; the Foreign Office wanted to further back America and there was concern of losong that relationship; and one of Wilson's personal aims was to show he was a great international statesman and Britain was still a power player, and therefore he was going to show he was a proper independent head-of-state*.

So it could be more possible than we like to think that the UK would've joined up in a limited way under a different PM, possibly even a different Labour PM from the right wing but more likely the Conservatives if still in then, depending on which PM, their views on EEC, and how worried they are about the Special Relationship. And we'd surely present the war as Malaya II. Domestically, that could possibly be spinned after as "it should've been like the War We Won but the Yanks, eh?" and be a lingering black mark on US-UK relations (OOOPS!).

* Wilson thought he had influence, LBJ had "disdain for the man on a personal level" and the CIA thought he was dodgy. Though 'LBJ hated Wilson for not going along with things' does mean Wilson was showing he was an independent head-of-state, so if you summoned his ghost he'd probably say "fuck Johnson, and also fuck that President from 1964-68"

Back