• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Tonton’s Early Victory or Mitterrand wins in ‘65

Yokai Man

Something I found out recently is that people were more or less expecting Mitterrand to win against De Gaulle in ‘65,with many being surprised that Gaulle won-and even then narrowly from the point of view of some.

Suppose therefore that,somehow,Mitterrand did win against France’s Nationalist in chief. (you can imagine how,it’s not important in this thought process) Would he govern like he did OTL? If not,what would differ?

Do the May ‘68 still happen in a world where the Left is more or less in power? How would an aborted or tricked down version of May 68 affect France politically and culturally?

Note that I’m not quite familiar with French politics outside of this forum and The Other Place so I felt I should ask this question since it sat on my mind for a while.

Something I found out recently is that people were more or less expecting Mitterrand to win against De Gaulle in ‘65,with many being surprised that Gaulle won-and even then narrowly from the point of view of some.

Suppose therefore that,somehow,Mitterrand did win against France’s Nationalist in chief. (you can imagine how,it’s not important in this thought process) Would he govern like he did OTL? If not,what would differ?

Do the May ‘68 still happen in a world where the Left is more or less in power? How would an aborted or tricked down version of May 68 affect France politically and culturally?

Note that I’m not quite familiar with French politics outside of this forum and The Other Place so I felt I should ask this question since it sat on my mind for a while.

The PCF is nowhere as weakened in 65, and it's likely he's reliant on them for a legislative majority. It's also too early for the neoliberal turn so I can't see a betrayal of the common program repeat.

You probably don't get May 68, as the coalition of students and workers would never really form if the left isn't out of power. You may even avoid the nominal trigger event, which was arrests at an anti war protest.

Back