• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

The Write Stuff: So you want to write an article

That's because everyone is busy writing now.
Probably.

Very useful, and timely. The structure guide of "Tell them what you're going to tell them, tell them, tell them what you've told them" is similar to what I've been told is good practice for giving an oral presentation - which makes sense when the nominal objective of both those and written articles is to convey information.

Pacing and planning by word-counts is a skill I think I need to relearn. There's a lot of cross-over here with the scientific essays/lit reviews I used to write at university, especially in the "read tens of thousands of words of conflicting sources, somehow distil into 1000 words or less" sense.

Definitely some good pointers for the series I have planned.

Word count is something pointedly not included in French dissertations (our very formal take on essays), and now I feel it should if only so we won't have to read the worst of the padding.

Word count is something pointedly not included in French dissertations (our very formal take on essays), and now I feel it should if only so we won't have to read the worst of the padding.

If you ever want to take the piss out of a overly-padded dissertation or essay, get a newspaper editor to come in for a day to practice his style of editing out loud. Most newspaper articles finish in length between five and eight hundred words in English, and I'm sure in French there's still a lot of pretty strict size caps.

Back