• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

'The Old New Land' and the Doomed Utopia of Israel

I keep intending to read more about Liberia, partially because it seems to be a mirror of Israel from my vantage point.
As far as books on Liberia go, 'round my parts there are slim pickings (ironic, considering RI has one of the US's largest Liberian communities for some reason). Having said that, that book is one of the best, written by someone who was an experienced diplomat in that region. The Charles Taylor angle later on could also be complemented with the WGBH/ProPublica documentary on PBS's Frontline, titled Firestone and the Warlord. I can also see why Liberia would be a mirror of Israel, in that regard.

As far as books on Liberia go, 'round my parts there are slim pickings (ironic, considering RI has one of the US's largest Liberian communities for some reason). Having said that, that book is one of the best, written by someone who was an experienced diplomat in that region. The Charles Taylor angle later on could also be complemented with the WGBH/ProPublica documentary on PBS's Frontline, titled Firestone and the Warlord. I can also see why Liberia would be a mirror of Israel, in that regard.

'Another America' is a good pop history introduction to it, if you want a focus on the pre 1980 stuff where it's more israel.

Pham I think underemphasises foreign influence in Liberia.

It was forever bizarre to me that Israel and foreign pro-Israel groups buddy up to people who think "Israel must exist so the End Times can happen, which will destroy Israel".
Their prominence in the pro-Israel movement is also massively overstated. When I'm in an uncharitable mood I tend to think this is projection from the anti-Israel types, but it's probably just the kooks getting the most attention, same as they usually do.

Back