• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

The Moon Is Red: Apple TV does AH.

Pretty sure these will be revealed, in passing or up front, later on in the season (having to wait a week between episodes is both a teeth-grinding annoyance and a semi-amusing memory lane trip to older days of TV), but I'm curious as to thoughts here:

1. Who would Gary Hart have as VP (unless it's Clinton)?
2. Would Clinton still pick Gore in this timeline?
3. If Gorbachev's still around in the early 90's (maybe the Soviet portion of the "space economy" and the energy developments mentioned in the trailer help keep things somewhat more stable domestically), how do perestroika, glasnost et al look by then, presuming they happen at all?

Pretty sure these will be revealed, in passing or up front, later on in the season (having to wait a week between episodes is both a teeth-grinding annoyance and a semi-amusing memory lane trip to older days of TV), but I'm curious as to thoughts here:

1. Who would Gary Hart have as VP (unless it's Clinton)?
2. Would Clinton still pick Gore in this timeline?
3. If Gorbachev's still around in the early 90's (maybe the Soviet portion of the "space economy" and the energy developments mentioned in the trailer help keep things somewhat more stable domestically), how do perestroika, glasnost et al look by then, presuming they happen at all?

I think one of the bonus news clips on Apple TV+ covering the gap between the second season and this one mentioned that Al Gore was Gary Hart's VP and made an unsuccessful run in the primaries against Clinton. It is somewhat difficult to believe that Hart would pick a 36 year old Gore as his running mate in 1984 when Gore was still in the House of Representatives and in the middle of his first run for Senate. Though I suppose it's possible that Gore either made it to the Senate a few years earlier, or Hart had a different VP to start with and replaced that one with Gore for some reason.

In any case I think that rules out Gore as Clinton's running mate. The same clip also mentioned that Jerry Springer was the Governor of Ohio ITTL and another one of Clinton's unsuccessful primary opponents. So I suppose that's a possibility.

I think one of the bonus news clips on Apple TV+ covering the gap between the second season and this one mentioned that Al Gore was Gary Hart's VP and made an unsuccessful run in the primaries against Clinton.

Didn't see this on the site, or in the newsreel clip opening the current season; do you recall where exactly you saw it?

Given all the different elections in this series so far, is there anyone on the forum who'd be interested in putting together maps for them?

My review of Seven Minutes of Terror is up now on Warped Factor. Also…

Check out the details of Ellen’s Oval Office!

A fantastic review, as always!

Slight gaffe in the spoiler tweet: As I recall, "Home Again" in season 1 mentions it did happen, with the same punishment (or lack thereof), just with a different President. Still wouldn't prevent the portrait being put up, however, esp. considering the background of the current Prez.

A fantastic review, as always!

Slight gaffe in the spoiler tweet: As I recall, "Home Again" in season 1 mentions it did happen, with the same punishment (or lack thereof), just with a different President. Still wouldn't prevent the portrait being put up, however, esp. considering the background of the current Prez.

Thanks!

It’s been awhile since I rewatched season one. IIRC, there’s a White House tape we hear in that episode where we hear that Kennedy had preemptively pardoned Nixon for any crimes he might have committed as part of the break-in and cover-up, which aggravates Nixon. Which suggests that the full scope of what happened and (as evidenced by Reagan and now Ellen this season) the existence of the taping system isn’t as public knowledge as it is IOTL.

On that topic, I’m half expecting the latter to potentially become a plot point at some point.With the way they’ve arranged things, it seems like a natural thing to do.
Especially if Ellen tries to help Margo out with Sergei and/or we learn that someone in government had Margo pass on out of date information that led to the Mars 94 meltdown.

Consider, or count, me delighted to find a third series to see the Soviet Union and the Third International (did they re-establish the Communist International?) rising from strength to greater strength (all of Turtle Island south of the "U.S.A." and "Canada" becoming Soviet or "Comintern" allies).

Are any of the corporations in the "U.S.A." or Western Europe feeling the squeeze tightening and ever-more frustrating as more and greater areas of the Global South are closed off from their uncontested exploitation?

Does the White House taping system still exist then?

It most certainly does. We heard pieces from the Ted Kennedy and Reagan tales in seasons one and two and we’ve seen glimpses this season as recently as the latest episode that a version of it (albeit upgraded) exists for the Wilson administration. Which seems likely to become a plot point before this season is out…

On a related note, my reviews of New Eden and Bring it Down are up on Warped Factor.

Yeah, they'd have been better off putting a bomb or something as an anti-tamper mechanism in the thing rather than a North Korean who presumably is able to survive through extremely powerful photosynthesis.

Truth be told, they probably would have been better off replacing North Korea with the PRC, but then the PRC would probably have banned all sales of For All Mankind in China.

I agree with this rant, the FAM witters have jumped the shark.

Yeah, they'd have been better off putting a bomb or something as an anti-tamper mechanism in the thing rather than a North Korean who presumably is able to survive through extremely powerful photosynthesis.

It feels premature to me to declare that, given we've only had the barest of glimpses of the technology used. It's also been set-up earlier in the season that clearly something out of the ordinary was going with the North Korean space program and their Mars probe. I'd counter the rant @Coiler cited claiming that the state of their program earlier on was incompatible with them reaching Mars by pointing out that NASA and Roscosmos (and SpaceX, too, for that matter) still lose payloads at launch and getting into orbit. Further, it isn't like various space agencies in OTL haven't semi-seriously looked at one-way trips to the Moon or Mars, something I covered regarding Gemini to the Moon ideas in a blog post last year. If there's a country that might have gone that extra step of actually bloody doing it, I'd say it was North Korea.

Truth be told, they probably would have been better off replacing North Korea with the PRC, but then the PRC would probably have banned all sales of For All Mankind in China.

I've seen this speculated elsewhere and saw at least someone who claimed to know someone involved with the show who'd confirmed that was what happened. I'm inclined to agree myself given that the finale was original entitled Han when titles surfaced while the series was in production but has now changed to Stranger in a Strange Land. Or perhaps the title changed because of the China connection potentially being made, given how much North Korea having a space program was set up both in the show itself and in the Another Giant Leap supplemental news clips available on the app alongside the show.

Back