• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

'The Good German' review

There's some sort of bet about how often that 'peasants not kings' quote can be cited, right? Every time it makes me feel guilty about how little my writing measures up to that standard....

Good review, though!

It's your own damn fault for coming up with a pithy yet eloquent and completely right quote.

This is the only story I've heard of going "so if Nazis won, what's it like in Canada" which seems weird

I'm defo up for a world tour of how non european countries react to a german win.

Liberia, for instance, was very reluctant to declare war on Nazi Germany because most of its doctors were German and it traded heavily with Germany. Haitian trade was dominated by Germans up until WWI.

How do two small and powerless black republics react when a country as viciously racist as Nazi Germany becomes a superpower they not only have to deal with but are the only power they can deal with?

That's a story there.

How does it affect far right movements in South America?

And so on and so on.

This stands out in the last paragraphs:

I can't think of another sub-genre that's true of (and comes back to "Is AH A Genre Or A Setting")
What more is genre than just certain traits repeated? I wonder if the framework TVTropes uses to discuss 'from clones to genre' applies to the AH genre growing out of people who liked that collection of one-off works.

What more is genre than just certain traits repeated? I wonder if the framework TVTropes uses to discuss 'from clones to genre' applies to the AH genre growing out of people who liked that collection of one-off works.

That's a good point, though I get the impression that usually kicks in (maybe not for films) when they're copying something a creator does more than once - like, technothrillers are copying Tom Clancy and not just one Tom Clancy book, same with the Twilight and Harry Potter series, GRR Martin's Song of Fire and Ice etc. But AH seems like if technothrillers were inspired by The Hunt For Red October, while Tom Clancy was off writing Westerns for most of his career and the kiddie spinoff Tom Clancy's Net Horse Explorers.

Back