• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

The effects of Albania joins Yugoslavia?

Time Enough

"Enthusiastic Cis Male Partner"
Published by SLP
Pronouns
He/Him
Now per say Hoxha gets caught in a car crash around 1945 and so the leadership of Albania likely is placed with a Titoist/Pro-Yugoslavian Politician in charge (probably Koçi Xoxe).

Now if you have Albania as part of the Yugoslavia, what effects would this have? The increased Muslim population likely would lead to interesting demographics, Albania being successfully incorporated could make Tito turn to Greece a bit more and lead to a closer civil war etc.

Now per say Hoxha gets caught in a car crash around 1945 and so the leadership of Albania likely is placed with a Titoist/Pro-Yugoslavian Politician in charge (probably Koçi Xoxe).

Now if you have Albania as part of the Yugoslavia, what effects would this have? The increased Muslim population likely would lead to interesting demographics, Albania being successfully incorporated could make Tito turn to Greece a bit more and lead to a closer civil war etc.

An important question is what happens to the other Albanian inhabited areas of Yugoslavia, especially Kosovo. Do they remain with their pre-World War I owners or do they become part of the Albanian Republic? Tito was apparently willing to include them in the Albanian Republic.

An important question is what happens to the other Albanian inhabited areas of Yugoslavia, especially Kosovo. Do they remain with their pre-World War I owners or do they become part of the Albanian Republic? Tito was apparently willing to include them in the Albanian Republic.
That doesn’t surprise me as about only 20 percent of the population was Serbian if I recall. This would probably lead to increased Serbian Tensions in time to say the least.

I could see Tito incorporating Albanian dominated areas into Albanian territory, though I could see others being transferred to other groups to.

Would Albania be a sufficient counter to Serbian dominance? It's worth noting that Bulgaria also came close to joining. A Yugoslavia with both Albania and Bulgaria would definitely have Serbia permanently outvoted.

Would Albania be a sufficient counter to Serbian dominance? It's worth noting that Bulgaria also came close to joining. A Yugoslavia with both Albania and Bulgaria would definitely have Serbia permanently outvoted.
I could see the Soviets having a fit of Bulgaria joined to say the least, I think Albania is probably the closest that Yugoslavia would get to expanding during its earlier years.

But even with Albania I can see Serbia having its place being outmanoeuvred within the hierarchy of the SFY.

Let me just say this: Albania joining Yugoslavia in this scenario (let alone Bulgaria) is not only implausible,is downright impossible and stupid.

Yes Tito and Stalin were sorta for it but that doesn’t mean that the rest of the political class of Albania or Yugoslavia wanted it. Even if Xoxe managed somehow to become leader the rest of the party wouldn’t agree to Albania no longer existing as a nation. The Albanian partisans aren’t the same as the ones led by Tito. They don’t want to be run by some out of their existing clique.

And that’s not mentioning Serbia or Croatia not wanting its place being outmanoeuvred within the existent system.

A Balkan Union would just create more ethnic tensions and lead to the Yugoslavs falling apart earlier at best. It is just a fever dream that,without a oppressive strongman,fails contact with reality because spoiler alert but a lot of ethnic groups in the Balkans really fucking loathe each other to the point of genocide.

Let me just say this: Albania joining Yugoslavia in this scenario (let alone Bulgaria) is not only implausible,is downright impossible and stupid.

Yes Tito and Stalin were sorta for it but that doesn’t mean that the rest of the political class of Albania or Yugoslavia wanted it. Even if Xoxe managed somehow to become leader the rest of the party wouldn’t agree to Albania no longer existing as a nation. The Albanian partisans aren’t the same as the ones led by Tito. They don’t want to be run by some out of their existing clique.
Interesting, I’m guessing you at most then you could have a Economic Cooperation Community then, as in Albania remains separate but is part of a ECC type trading partnership then?

I know Xoxe was trying to purge the Albanian Communist Party of Anti-Yugoslav ‘Moderates’ before his arrest etc. but I’m guessing he would have his limits to pushing for closer relations between Yugoslavia-Albania.

Interesting, I’m guessing you at most then you could have a Economic Cooperation Community then, as in Albania remains separate but is part of a ECC type trading partnership then?

I know Xoxe was trying to purge the Albanian Communist Party of Anti-Yugoslav ‘Moderates’ before his arrest etc. but I’m guessing he would have his limits to pushing for closer relations between Yugoslavia-Albania.
Assuming of course he even manages to become Secretary General. Hoxha’s clique already had a lot of power by 1945 and I could see them propping Shehu as the anti Xoxe continuity candidate,winning easily and purging the party and the country violently like OTL.

Assuming of course he even manages to become Secretary General. Hoxha’s clique already had a lot of power by 1945 and I could see them propping Shehu as the anti Xoxe continuity candidate,winning easily and purging the party and the country violently like OTL.
So most roads in Albania lead to a Stalinist rule in time, a question to ask then is there the possibility that unlike Hoxha’s regime that a Shehu one could experience a thaw in the 50s as Stalin passes etc.

And that’s not mentioning Serbia or Croatia not wanting its place being outmanoeuvred within the existent system.

A Balkan Union would just create more ethnic tensions and lead to the Yugoslavs falling apart earlier at best. It is just a fever dream that,without a oppressive strongman,fails contact with reality because spoiler alert but a lot of ethnic groups in the Balkans really fucking loathe each other to the point of genocide.

I disagree. Albanians may be willing to join Yugoslavia if they gain Greater Albania. Many Albanians accepted Italian rule as they gained Greater Albania.

Back