• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Stafford Cripps becoming PM in 1942 and it’s effects?

Time Enough

"Enthusiastic Cis Male Partner"
Published by SLP
Pronouns
He/Him
So I’ve heard discussion before (mainly pertaining to @Comisario Comrade Cripps) about the possibility of Winston Churchill being ousted after the defeat of Singapore in 1942 and Eden gunning for Cripps (who was still an Independent) to replace Churchill as leader.

The main discussion would be, what would the effect of this be? I suspect a closer relationship with the Soviets sure, but how would it effect the war effort and the aftermath as well?

There might be a more positive outcome in India, depending on who he sends in his own place to negotiate with the Congress and Muslim League.

Being leader during the war might also hasten his death, given he only made it to 1952 as it was.

Maybe he avoids rejoining the Labour Party (if he thinks it's more important that the leader remains someone without party affiliation for the duration of the war), but if he does rejoin and Labour win the election in 1945 you could have Cripps as a compromise between Attlee and Morrison, if Attlee doesn't manage to slip out of Transport House and get to the Palace.

There might be a more positive outcome in India, depending on who he sends in his own place to negotiate with the Congress and Muslim League.
I think it didn’t help that the PM was pretty opposed to Indian Independence of any form. It being hashed out more in World War 2 would probably help matters in the aftermath.
Being leader during the war might also hasten his death, given he only made it to 1952 as it was.
He did have a weak digestive system and was easily exhausted, so he could last the war and the immediate aftermath before popping his clogs in 47/48 etc.
Maybe he avoids rejoining the Labour Party (if he thinks it's more important that the leader remains someone without party affiliation for the duration of the war), but if he does rejoin and Labour win the election in 1945 you could have Cripps as a compromise between Attlee and Morrison, if Attlee doesn't manage to slip out of Transport House and get to the Palace.
I could see him avoiding rejoining during the war, though there is the possibility he rejoins in the run up to a 45’ election and Attlee is moved out/or he forms his on movement etc.

Back