• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Self-insert ISOT novels as propaganda: the case of Russia's "Popadantsy" stories

Well a Marxist wouldn't consider it feasible until the objective material conditions have been met.
an idealised marxist wouldn't consider it feasible
personally, i think you could get a really interesting story about your average miserable member of a trotskyist party being ISOTed back to the early days of the Russian Revolution, as long as it's written by someone who knows their history and not a man who lives in a shack fifteen miles out of Cheboygan, MI with various rifles and unique opinions on Gretchen Whitmer, or someone who actually thinks Emmanuel Macron has both a positive political ideology and also a political ideology, or, god help us all, an actual average miserable member of a trotskyist party.

personally, i think you could get a really interesting story about your average miserable member of a trotskyist party being ISOTed back to the early days of the Russian Revolution, as long as it's written by someone who knows their history and not a man who lives in a shack fifteen miles out of Cheboygan, MI with various rifles and unique opinions on Gretchen Whitmer, or someone who actually thinks Emmanuel Macron has both a positive political ideology and also a political ideology, or, god help us all, an actual average miserable member of a trotskyist party.

"So Guzman would go on to develop these ideas by applying them into a Peruvian context, but his neglect of the role of the massed proletariat in favour of a rural guerilla campaign meant that--"
"Hold on, the Americans went to the moon? Like, the actual fucking moon in the sky?"
"Comrade Radek, it is vital that we stay on topic here!"

You know, the cast of the Kirov novels is basically this. They're Russian time traveling warlords who go back (and in one case, forward) in time to try and improve their country's historical position. Except, uh, it doesn't really work out.

Well a Marxist wouldn't consider it feasible until the objective material conditions have been met.
an idealised marxist wouldn't consider it feasible
There's also a potentially interesting story along the lines of "I'm an orthodox Marxist, I know intellectually that the objective material conditions haven't been met and that the wheels of history don't turn on individual people, no matter their personal qualities - but dammit, a lot of people are going to die if nothing changes, so let's give it the old college try and see what happens, because if I can't change history that means I can't make it worse, eh?"

Chris Nuttall thinks highly of him for some reason.
Moderator post:

Regardless of how you feel about them or their views, this sort of drive-by ragging on another poster who hasn't even contributed to this particular thread is definitely not conducive to maintaining a civil environment. This is not the first time you have violated Rule 1. We have decided to kick you for a week.

Back