• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Red Hammer 1994 Review

The premise is unclear--so the USSR still falls, but then Russia decides to launch a nuclear strike at the US?

In which case the hammer and sickle on the cover aren't justified except as a marketing gimmick.

I normally like your stuff @Coiler, but I think something may have got lost in the submission here: it's unclear of what the premise is, or how the story's told (I'm unclear from the 'characters as camera' comment about whether it's a novel or a fake textbook.)

I normally like your stuff @Coiler, but I think something may have got lost in the submission here: it's unclear of what the premise is,

There is a limited (in the sense of not being apocalyptic) nuclear exchange between the US and Russia in 1994. That's basically the whole premise.

or how the story's told (I'm unclear from the 'characters as camera' comment about whether it's a novel or a fake textbook.)

It's definitely a novel. When I said 'characters as cameras' what I meant was "There are a lot of undeveloped viewpoint characters, giving the impression many exist just to let the reader see what they're operating."

(IE, you have a pilot just so the author can show the inside of an aircraft. That sort of thing.)

Thanks for the critique.

Back