• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Realistic Transhumanism

xsampa

With a world with faster technological development what is the realistically most TTL’s present could approach transhumanism?
  1. Better prosthetics
  2. Powered exoskeletons
  3. Some kind of implants

Prosthetics have already got pretty advanced, so it wouldn't be hard to make them more so - the downside is one of the drives for it are things like IEDs in Iraq and Afghanistan, so how you'd do it is probably "more people blown up in a conflict". (Which also AFAIK is the main place powered exoskeletons get talked about as a blue-sky idea.)

Well. In my opinion, Transhumanist era has already begun. We are in the beginning of the Twilight of an era without sunset.

Initially, by 2025-2030, we might see this begin as implants that help deep depression (I'm really waiting and in need for this), make people with disabilities as good as everyone else (it will most likely first begin with people with accident/trauma induced disabilities before soon progressing into people with congenital disabilities), improve focus and concentration, record and download your thoughts and to make your overall function and aesthetics, better. This might be something like new artificial skins made of materials like Graphene. We are already witnessing the twilight of the use of Graphene chips, which I hope will first be used for Medical applications (where cost is less of an issue), before transiting to other applications.

The next phase should arrive soon, where we will see transition from Brain chips and high tech body replacements/upgrades, to a more deeper level. For example, from 10% of the Brain being artificial in the previous phase to 50% or more of the Body including the Brain being upgraded. This begins to blur the difference between Biological lifeforms and AI Lifeforms. This dawns a new era, after which the progress will simply explode.

The next phase will be reached without even us knowing it, where we will transition to 100% uploaded brains, from the previous phase's 50-75%, which will lead to the beginnings of the Type-2 Civilization era, also called the "Dyson Sphere".

The progress beyond this stage depends on the Fundamental Physics of all existence. In my opinion, at that point, extensions of the Theory of Relativity, that explain about the fundamental interactions and the nature of Space and Time, will become more and more relevant, which will lead to a unified Theory of Everything in Physics. What comes after this? Omega Point Singularities that could have their present analogues in the Black Hole Singularities? A dissolution into something called an "Ultimate Existence"?

As a strong Physicalist, I generally believe that the interactions of Space and Time will eventually be discovered and solved, which is probably the key to a Timeless Omega Point Singularity, indistinguishable from God. I wonder what Einstein would have extended his theory to. However, Erwin Schrödinger makes a quote that hints at the above.

Transhumanism is, ultimately, a social phenomenon. Smartglasses are already a step towards augmentation, smart drugs may be kinda pseudosciency but they exist. Some people even implant technology into their bodies using self surgery.

If you want transhumanism you don't need new technologies or even new applications. You need more technophilia. In the 2000s I remember one source I read for my MA had someone say, in a library conference "we are from the internet and we're here to negotiate the terms of your surrender." But since then technology has become so much harsher and more controlled.

Get rid of Snowdon and Assange so people neither lose hope or see the issues with political technophilia. If you can prevent the internet and phone technology from being so centrally controlled by big business that may help

Transhumanism (at least motte rather than bailey transhumanism) rather inevitably leads to the issue that invasive surgery is pretty much the worst way to use any technology, with the exception of certain medical applications.

Back