• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Prequel Problems: Young Montalbano

@Thande and others might be interested by the Sequelisers podcast, which pitches alternate sequels. They had one season of episodes within the last year that pitched alternate prequels in place of:

Prometheus (2012)
300: Rise of an Empire (2014)
Solo: A Star Was Story (2018)
Zulu Dawn (1979)
Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights (2004)
X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009)
The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning (2008)
The Thing (2011)
Monsters University (2013)
Smokin' Aces 2: Assassins' Ball (2010)
Oz the Great and Powerful (2013)
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2016)

Maybe because they only look at bad prequels, they definitely take a view that prequels are almost inherently bad (despite having praised Rise/Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, X-Men: First Class, Rogue One), disliking the limitations that a prequel has on storytelling.

@Thande and others might be interested by the Sequelisers podcast, which pitches alternate sequels. They had one season of episodes within the last year that pitched alternate prequels in place of:

Prometheus (2012)
300: Rise of an Empire (2014)
Solo: A Star Was Story (2018)
Zulu Dawn (1979)
Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights (2004)
X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009)
The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning (2008)
The Thing (2011)
Monsters University (2013)
Smokin' Aces 2: Assassins' Ball (2010)
Oz the Great and Powerful (2013)
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2016)

Maybe because they only look at bad prequels, they definitely take a view that prequels are almost inherently bad (despite having praised Rise/Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, X-Men: First Class, Rogue One), disliking the limitations that a prequel has on storytelling.
Well, I think the latter is a reasonable conclusion considering I described a lot of those points in my first attitude, but conversely I'd argue the very challenge of writing a prequel means that the few diamonds in the rough shine all the more.

Disappointed.

I expected the article to just be a long dissection of why Star Trek Into Darkness fails as a movie, and why the casting of Benedict Cumberbatch in particular was a poor choice.

You better include my rant about how Spock and Kirk not knowing who Khan is is akin to them not knowing who Hitler is.

That rant.

In its entirety.
I mean TBF even in Space Seed they treated it as something they had to look up, I don't think there was immediate name recognition. But young Spock should've at least looked it up himself without having to ruin Leonard Nimoy's final on-screen appearance.

Back