• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Portuguese Cape Colony

Ricardolindo

A week ago, I posted a thread about an English Cape Colony. What about a Portuguese Cape Colony? I think we would have sent far more settlers than the Dutch did or the English would have considering the smaller distance and the more similar climate

A week ago, I posted a thread about an English Cape Colony. What about a Portuguese Cape Colony? I think we would have sent far more settlers than the Dutch did or the English would have considering the smaller distance and the more similar climate
Given that Portugal already had Angola and Mozambique, would they even see the need for a Cape Colony? They were, after all, literally the first to get to the Cape, and yet they didn't colonise it.

Given that Portugal already had Angola and Mozambique, would they even see the need for a Cape Colony? They were, after all, literally the first to get to the Cape, and yet they didn't colonise it.

Dutch tried to take both, failed and so went for the cape as a backup plan. Certain dramatic irony in the dutch taking mozambique and angola and so the portuguese going for the cape.

The thing about the Cape is the Portuguese Crown of the time was more interested in "get-rich quickly schemes" and that meant extraction colonies or comercial outposts near wealth sources. If Angola or Mozambique had been taken by other countries and/or another country got to India or northern Brazil first, Portugal might have tried a settlement colony, and the Cape Region was the best for it (similar climate).

The thing about the Cape is the Portuguese Crown of the time was more interested in "get-rich quickly schemes" and that meant extraction colonies or comercial outposts near wealth sources. If Angola or Mozambique had been taken by other countries and/or another country got to India or northern Brazil first, Portugal might have tried a settlement colony, and the Cape Region was the best for it (similar climate).

Like the Dutch Cape Colony, it could start as a semi-accidental settler colony as a harbour on the way to India.

Back