• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Points of Divergence: 1979 Motion of No Confidence

Very interesting.
A related POD to the later bits of the article is that IIRC Frank's brother Noel was originally going to stand in the by-election but was persuaded (read that in whatever tone you like) to drop out at very literally the last minute - Gerry Adams (I think) was apparently ready to hand in the forms for Sands to withdraw instead if Maguire's car got stuck in traffic.

Very interesting.
A related POD to the later bits of the article is that IIRC Frank's brother Noel was originally going to stand in the by-election but was persuaded (read that in whatever tone you like) to drop out at very literally the last minute - Gerry Adams (I think) was apparently ready to hand in the forms for Sands to withdraw instead if Maguire's car got stuck in traffic.

In itself that's interesting, Maguire would likely have not brought the same global attention and could very easily have lost to Harry West.

In itself that's interesting, Maguire would likely have not brought the same global attention and could very easily have lost to Harry West.
IIRC it was very close as it was, wasn't it (then again, SDLP types might have been more willing to vote for Noel than Sands, I guess)?
I think there were some calls for Bernadette Devlin to stand as well, but she knew, or thought she knew, she couldn't be a unity candidate unless she proved her chops on that front by sitting that one out, and definitely knew her running as a spoiler would guarantee a Unionist victory.

Back