• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

PODs of the Thirty Years War XXIII

Melchior von Hatzfeldt is a badass name, with badass facial hair to go with it, even in an era of some impressive moustachioed and bearded commanders.

the latter risking the ire of not just Hesse-Darmstadt but many of the other states with family members studying at the University there-

For some reason, I found this hilariously funny in a dark way. Sure, the entire country is going up in smoke, but our kids should be free to study in peace!

By now, Amalie Elisabeth’s attempts to promote Calvinism in the Westphalian peace talks, together with the sheer scale of her territorial claims in the Ecclesiastical territories, which essentially consisted of the full territories originally promised by Gustavus Adolphus, had thoroughly annoyed even her closest allies, and with the war winding to a close, the Congress of Westphalia gave an ultimatum to both sides of April 2nd 1648 to accept arbitration. 12 days later, a settlement was agreed which saw Darmstadt retain Gießen and some smaller districts, but accept the loss of Marburg, Rheinfels, Katzenelenbogen and Schmalkalden.

Put another way, it's not just the historians growing exasperated the war went on after 1635. At this point, even the French see the bashing of Germans by other Germans as not fun anymore.

Put another way, it's not just the historians growing exasperated the war went on after 1635. At this point, even the French see the bashing of Germans by other Germans as not fun anymore.

Yeah, you really get the impression that the 1640s are everyone switching between 'we should stop fighting' and 'oh but while they're distracted I can just grab that bit'

Also, Amalie Elisabeth was entirely as stubborn as literally everyone else in the period, it's just that somehow she managed to make it work.

And great work with the images as usual @Youngmarshall

Yeah, you really get the impression that the 1640s are everyone switching between 'we should stop fighting' and 'oh but while they're distracted I can just grab that bit'

Also, Amalie Elisabeth was entirely as stubborn as literally everyone else in the period, it's just that somehow she managed to make it work.

And great work with the images as usual @Youngmarshall
I like to imagine all the Generals and Statesmen were procrastinating in between hours of staring at blank maps drinking way too much sugared water.

Back