• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

PODs of the Thirty Years War XLVI

I do find it fascinating how many of these campaigns broke down because the officers had, by this time, spent decades developing grudges against each other.

I do find it fascinating how many of these campaigns broke down because the officers had, by this time, spent decades developing grudges against each other.

We're also firmly into the 'no he's dead. he's dead as well. And him' stage of picking who to lead an army.

There's some fantastically competent fellows who get overlooked because they were, to borrow from elsewhere for a moment, Boring But Practical.

I can just about SEE one guy saying 'no, no, let's resume fighting! if we can keep this up for two more campaigning seasons, it's going to sound so much better in the history books!' and everyone throwing disgusted looks at him but still going along because by that point they literally don't know how to not war.

I can just about SEE one guy saying 'no, no, let's resume fighting! if we can keep this up for two more campaigning seasons, it's going to sound so much better in the history books!' and everyone throwing disgusted looks at him but still going along because by that point they literally don't know how to not war.

There were certainly concerns about how to pay off all the soldiers

Hadn't that been a thing for years, and partially explained how the war had dragged on so much?

It was, admittedly, a significant concern in just about every war before the advent of professional armies. And after.

Back