• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Overtonized Democracy

0.42@632

How would a democratic system in which the Overton Window, by consensus, is officially restricted in its constitution, emerge. For example, a secularist overtonized state would explicitly bar any party which seeks to promote religious values, or has openly religious members in party from existing, but has fair and free elections for secular parties only or Aelita's Reds! where only anti-capitalist parties can run in the UASR?

Such a framework would slot well with politicization of society through mass mobilization, in this case for the Secular Cause of Progress and Modernity.

Can't say I know much at all about the period, but I'm left wondering if you could have an alt-Communist Control Act with teeth ruled unconstitutional by the Supreme Court and followed by a constitutional amendment banning communist organisations. It would fulfil the requirements.

Or the Australian referendum goes the other way. That would be easier.

Some countries like Senegal have constitutions state that political parties are forbidden from being organised around any specific ethnic, regional, or religious affiliation, to serve the nation and people as a whole. I'm by no means an expert on what this actually entails, but it does seem to fulfil the framework for restrictions for the political system to operate within a secular, national framework, at least in theory.

It's definitely not a problem for a state to have elections but also put in its constitution "not parties that do X". You could create a timeline where a country mandates "no openly religious person can run for office", though you would end up with a different view of democracy in a timeline if that was considered democratic in a modern state and not a power grab

Back