• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

On the display of graphic violence

SpanishSpy

wallowing in my millennialism
Published by SLP
This post from @SenatorChickpea in the Ukraine thread raises necessary questions for times like these.

Mods, is there a need for some guidance on what videos or photos can- or more importantly, should- be posted in this thread?

I know that things are moving quickly, and I know that it's important not to sanitise events too much: horrors are unfolding, and to a certain extent we shouldn't look away.

However, in the past few days there have been several extremely graphic images and videos put in this thread: corpses in all manner of horrible states, traumatised people, the destruction and burning of flesh.

I know that the easiest solution would be: 'don't look at the thread,' and it is indeed important not to spend too much time doomscrolling. But people should be able to check in without worrying about what's going to be popping up on their screen.

I don't know what the right course is. One person's graphic content might be someone else's 'I've seen that in the New York Times.' And mandatory spoilers for everything, and an explanation of what' behind the spoiler might be too cumbersome.

But given that the next few days are probably going to be a lot worse, maybe we need a clear policy of some sort.

I ask what Liam asks - is there a board policy on this?

Back