• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Non-SLP Writing Opportunities

Thanks for that. Look forward to perusing the bible when it arrives.
I also have a copy of the latest version of the bible now. If you (or anyone else who's interested) like, feel free to drop me a PM with an email address you'd like the bible sent to and I'll pass it on.

As you may be aware, I and a number of other authors have been publishing Fantastic Schools - a collection of novellas and short stories with a overall theme of magical education. A handful of those collections have been centred on a smaller theme – Staff, Sports, Middle Schools, Holidays - and the latest of those collections is War.

The only real rule is it has to have something to do with magical education. You can write a story about a United States Mage Corps training platoon that runs into very real trouble, if you like, set in a universe very much like ours, or a story set in a much more fantastical universe; you are welcome, if you wish, to set a story in one of your own universes (the original idea behind the collection was to introduce writers to a number of different authors and their works) and if you do so you can also plug your own work.

In general, we want stories between 3000 and 10’000 words, although we can be flexible on such matters. Stories are professionally edited; profits are shared equally amongst the writers; we want exclusive publication rights for one year, following publication, then you will be free to republish however you like.

If you are interested, please check out the link below:

https://chrishanger.net/Fantasticschools/FSindex.html

We prefer to see a query first, so we do not get too many stories on a single topic, so please email the address on the page with your story suggestion. Please use Fantastic Schools Wars as the subject.

Thank you

Chris

Interesting the focus of 'It Takes A Village'. Back in the 2000s I worked for a large organisation that did encourage people to undertake community activities during working hours. I opted to go to a local primary school, along with other male colleagues, for two hours once per week to hear boys read. There were no male teachers at the school and many children came from female-only families, so reading was seen as something that boys did not do. Other colleagues did other voluntary things with the elderly or serving as magistrates, etc. I guess the organisation had a bit of a 'hippy' culture, but it is interesting if such an approach had caught on more wildly. A bit later, I did come across a Canadian university which required all staff to do 'voluntary' work some hours per week and this was noted in their appraisals. They seemed to see no contradiction in compulsory voluntary work.

Back