• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

No Maori in New Zealand

Ricardolindo

The Maori settled New Zealand very late. What if they never did? New Zealand's wildlife would remain intact until the arrival of the Europeans. How much of it would the Europeans drive to extinction and how much would be preserved in zoos? Would a New Zealand without Maori be part of Australia?

To be honest, I think that these PODs- 'what if there were no indigenous Americans and Europeans met mammoths?', 'What if there were no indigenous Australians and Europeans met carnivorous kangaroos?'- are in pretty bad taste.

There's something racist about treating the tangata whenua as disposable so that we can have a conversation about how Europeans would have interacted with Haast's Eagle.

To be honest, I think that these PODs- 'what if there were no indigenous Americans and Europeans met mammoths?', 'What if there were no indigenous Australians and Europeans met carnivorous kangaroos?'- are in pretty bad taste.

There's something racist about treating the tangata whenua as disposable so that we can have a conversation about how Europeans would have interacted with Haast's Eagle.

A big difference between New Zealand, on one hand, and Australia and the Americas, on the other hand, is that the former is much more plausible as it is much more remote and was settled much later.

There are ways to handle WI scenarios which involve the disappearance and non-existence of different ethnic groups and other populations. This include ethnic groups and other populations which have been subjugated or minoritized. I can imagine scenarios where the Welsh are as thoroughly assimilated as the Cornish, say, or ones where French is a dead language. I can also imagine scenarios where the proto-Maori never made it to New Zealand; navigation on the high seas is risky.

Key, I think, is making it clear that this scenario where one group or another does not exist is not a utopia. "If only these people never existed, things would be so much better!"

Turning to this scenario, I suspect that the New Zealand ecology will be thoroughly ravaged. Leaving aside salutary examples like terraformed Ascension, 19th century globalization tended to wreak havoc on isolated ecosystems. Absent someone remarkably conservation minded, New Zealand would differ only in scale.

Last edited:
There are ways to handle WI scenarios which involve the disappearance and non-existence of different ethnic groups and other populations. This include ethnic groups and other populations which have been subjugated or minoritized. I can imagine scenarios where the Welsh are as thoroughly assimilated as the Cornish, say, or ones where French is a dead language. I can also imagine scenarios where the proto-Maori never made it to New Zealand; navigation on the high seas is risky.

Key, I think, is making it clear that this scenario where one group or another does not exist is not a utopia. "If only these people never existed, things would be so much better!"

Turning to this scenario, I suspect that the New Zealand ecology will be thoroughly ravaged. Leaving aside salutary examples like terraformed Ascension, 19th century globalization tended to wreak havoc on isolated ecosystems. Absent someone remarkably conservation minded, New Zealand would differ only in scale.
The scale of New Zealand's ecosystem might provide it some protection - isolated populations of Moa possibly survived into the 1700's, so the Moa might survive colonisation, until the beginnings of the conservation movement.

Haast's eagle, which I personally think is cooler than the Moa's, if it can be tamed might survive as a bird for extreme falconry.

The key problem is that whilst it is reasonable to assume that a 19th century settlement might be more willing and able to try and control impact of humans on a virgin territory, the settlement would likely be quite slow and sporadic anyway. So in the first wave of settlers there could be many who do just go hog wild hunting for decades with little care, supervision or opprobrium

The key problem is that whilst it is reasonable to assume that a 19th century settlement might be more willing and able to try and control impact of humans on a virgin territory, the settlement would likely be quite slow and sporadic anyway. So in the first wave of settlers there could be many who do just go hog wild hunting for decades with little care, supervision or opprobrium

Thanks. As you are New Zealander, I was waiting for your reply. Indeed, I tagged you.
What about my other question: Would a New Zealand without Maori be part of Australia?

I think there are too many variables. It could even be there isn't an Australia, so big the POD is.

If we are talking about a scenario where the proto-Maori never come to New Zealand and the archipelago remains unpopulated, this might have relatively few butterfly effects on world history. Th Americas had come, by the time of Columbus, to be populated over tens of thousands of years by tens of millions of people whose civilizations had a major effect on the world environment. New Zealand, for its part, seems to have had a peak pre-colonization population of 100 thousand or so descending from a migration in the 13th century or so.

Depending on the POD that led to the non-settlement, even Polynesia might be unaffected. I am inclined to think the chain of events that led to the ascension of western European maritime powers to global influence can and will proceed as OTL.

If we are talking about a scenario where the proto-Maori never come to New Zealand and the archipelago remains unpopulated, this might have relatively few butterfly effects on world history. Th Americas had come, by the time of Columbus, to be populated over tens of thousands of years by tens of millions of people whose civilizations had a major effect on the world environment. New Zealand, for its part, seems to have had a peak pre-colonization population of 100 thousand or so descending from a migration in the 13th century or so.

Depending on the POD that led to the non-settlement, even Polynesia might be unaffected. I am inclined to think the chain of events that led to the ascension of western European maritime powers to global influence can and will proceed as OTL.

I believe JV is referring to how this would greatly impact British settler colonisation in Australia and potentially mean the federation if those colonies never actually occurs.

I believe JV is referring to how this would greatly impact British settler colonisation in Australia and potentially mean the federation if those colonies never actually occurs.

Pretty much.

I would be interested to see some sort of study on the economic impact/integration of the early colonies/NZ. An old flatmate sort of works in this field and if anyone would know it would be him or his colleague in the department. Anyway, I get the feeling that there was a fair amount of it in the early years - food exports to Aus anyway. But presumably not so big a deal that it would stunt things too much if it took longer for *NZ to ramp up production.

I also wonder if there's as much of a drive towards federation, in the early years anyway. Presumably most of the drivers are still there though

Much depends on how European explorers in the South Pacific respond that the discovery of a fertile, temperate and uninhabited archipelago in the South Pacific. The Dutch found it as early as the 17th century, and it was within the reach of the French and the Spanish

For all we know, someone else could colonize it before the British; the French came close OTL, for instance. In that case, then unless the non-British colony is conquered by the British, I think that the colony will remain separate.

Back