• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

No Battle of Culloden; Effect on the Highlands

Exactly, though the aristocracy will be as divided as the rest of the populace with the majority backing the current status quo.

There's a really fascinating scenario that could come out of this set-up but it would probably take an incredible amount of original research to try and create a "Hard" alternate history from it.
Not sure there's hard evidence about "the majority backing the status quo" - Duffy suggests 1/3 pro-Hanover, 1/3 pro-Stuart and 1/3 couldn't care less/"Can't be Arsed". He also suggests however that pro-Stuart support especially was governed by the proximity of the Jacobite army.

Not sure there's hard evidence about "the majority backing the status quo" - Duffy suggests 1/3 pro-Hanover, 1/3 pro-Stuart and 1/3 couldn't care less/"Can't be Arsed". He also suggests however that pro-Stuart support especially was governed by the proximity of the Jacobite army.

I guess I would take the 1/3 "Couldn't Care Less" to be those who had made their peace with the Claim of Right of 1689 and so supported/were members of the Established Kirk (but who if the Episcopalians had won whould have been members of the Established Episcopal Kirk.)

The interesting thing is the proportion of the country in each camp was not much different from the 1680s to the '45, and then afterwards Episcopalianism just dramatically dwindles away.

I guess I would take the 1/3 "Couldn't Care Less" to be those who had made their peace with the Claim of Right of 1689 and so supported/were members of the Established Kirk (but who if the Episcopalians had won whould have been members of the Established Episcopal Kirk.)

The interesting thing is the proportion of the country in each camp was not much different from the 1680s to the '45, and then afterwards Episcopalianism just dramatically dwindles away.
I think Duffy's estimate was UK wide - but is probably very accurate for Scotland

Well, it likely changes Scottish Religious History, greatly diminishing the influence of presbertyrianism.

As for the animosity between Highland and Lowland Scots: it's pretty hard to have they much animosity when most genetic Highlanders either live in the Lowlands or in America or other parts of the commonwealth.

Hello everyone, by the way. Ian banned me so I figured why not keep in touch.

Back