• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Native Hawaiian majority in Hawaii

Ricardolindo

How could we get a Native Hawaiian majority in Hawaii? This strikes me as more plausible than a Maori majority in New Zealand, considering the Native Hawaiians had a higher population because the climate was better for their crops and they had pigs and chickens.

Would need to get it to be a British Protectorate I'd imagine or, failing that, have Japan fight and win a war over the U.S. annexation effort in the 1890s.

How could we get a Native Hawaiian majority in Hawaii? This strikes me as more plausible than a Maori majority in New Zealand, considering the Native Hawaiians had a higher population because the climate was better for their crops and they had pigs and chickens.
The first question has to be when did they become the minority in our timeline?

Would need to get it to be a British Protectorate I'd imagine or, failing that, have Japan fight and win a war over the U.S. annexation effort in the 1890s.
Doesn't have to be one power, the Hawai'ian islands weren't unified under Kamehameha I until the late 18th/early 19th century. Both Britain and France were interested in them but came to an agreement to keep them independent, the US was interested as shown by their eventually annexing them, and IIRC Russia took a stab at establishing a trading post on one of the northern islands which petered out. An up to four way split of the archipelago isn't impossible.

The first question has to be when did they become the minority in our timeline?

Doesn't have to be one power, the Hawai'ian islands weren't unified under Kamehameha I until the late 18th/early 19th century. Both Britain and France were interested in them but came to an agreement to keep them independent, the US was interested as shown by their eventually annexing them, and IIRC Russia took a stab at establishing a trading post on one of the northern islands which petered out. An up to four way split of the archipelago isn't impossible.

IIRC, the U.S. as early as the 1840s issued an addendum to the Monroe Doctrine which basically held that anybody annexing the islands would be considered a hostile act; that's why I figured a non-annexation but protectorate status by the UK would be best.

I already knew that but most of Polynesia remained Polynesian majority.

Really the closest analogues within Polynesia would be New Zealand and Fiji*
just based on the amount of arable land. To your point, Fiji remained majority native Fijian (barely) but is also a bit more removed from the world and from trading routes.

*technically Melanesia but right on the periphery of Polynesia

One idea I had was to frustrate the coup d'état of 1893. When things occur the local British consul plays for time about recognising the new government whilst secretly sending word of the coup to a Royal Navy warship or two that are handily sailing in the region and putting out feelers to the Hawai'ian pooulation. It's decided to launch a counter-coup, with men and some cannon from the ships being secretly landed at night on a quiet beach; they proceed to secure the Queen and enemy armoury, with the Republicans waking up to this and a British frigate or two entering the main harbour. In recognition the Kingdom of Hawai'i becomes a protected state similar to Tonga. The members of the Committee of Safety and their backers are tried and convicted of capital crimes, later reduced to exile under pain of reinstated sentence, with all their property being seized. A few years later an agreement is struck to provide advantageous trade access for Hawai'ian produce and sugar to the US, and to help keep Anglo-American relations cordial, in exchange for the US Navy to be allowed to build and use a port at Pearl Harbor. The forfeit lands should give the Hawai'ian Crown a decent income, and most likely laws would be introduced limiting foreign ownership of land, immigration, and the operation of missionaries. You're still likely to see a rising foreign population but at a reduced rate compared to our timeline.

Really the closest analogues within Polynesia would be New Zealand and Fiji*
just based on the amount of arable land. To your point, Fiji remained majority native Fijian (barely) but is also a bit more removed from the world and from trading routes.

*technically Melanesia but right on the periphery of Polynesia

As I said in the OP, New Zealand is colder than Hawaii and worse for Polynesian crops. In addition, unlike the Maori, the Native Hawaiians brought pigs and chickens with them.

America's not going to tolerate a British protectorate; a possible alternative might be a Condominium along the lines of the New Hebrides (Vanuatu) or the Tripartite German/British/American rule over Samoa.

Actually, a German-American clash over Samoa could be a way to handwave America's toleration of British influence in Hawaii, as a necessary concession.

That system, if it's anything like Vanuatu or Samoa will be extremely inefficient, expensive and will have no buy in from either government. But just as Britain and France somehow managed to keep the co-rule of Vanuatu going until decolonization despite various attempts by Britain to disentangle itself, I can picture Hawaii staggering on year after year, with every new American 'advisor' to their Royal Hawaiian Majesty convinced that any day now Washington will be able to annex the place.

Crucially, that's a system which is going to discourage settler colonialism; Vanuatu saw serious concerns in Australasia every time the demographic balance tipped ever so slightly to the French. A Hawaiian Condominium will firstly encourage expansionists in New South Wales, Queensland, Victoria and New Zealand who wanted a more muscular British policy in Polynesia- in our timeline, after the Hawaiian monarchy fell the New Zealand premier threatened President McKinley with dire consequences if America moved in.* For America's part, there will be less interest in emigration to the islands given that there will be much less easy pickings and less support from the government.

Throughout all this, I'd expect the monarchy to retain a nominal role, aka to the Kings of Tonga under British influence.

How this Condominium would deal with Japanese or other imported non-white labourers is hard to say. But I can envisage this leading to a majority-Hawaiian state at the time of decolonisation, albeit with an American 'lease' on Pearl Harbor.

*I also have a scribbled reference in my notes to him suggesting that Britain try to enlist the aid of the Japanese to keep America out of the islands, almost a decade before the A-J alliance!

America's not going to tolerate a British protectorate; a possible alternative might be a Condominium along the lines of the New Hebrides (Vanuatu) or the Tripartite German/British/American rule over Samoa.

Actually, a German-American clash over Samoa could be a way to handwave America's toleration of British influence in Hawaii, as a necessary concession.

That system, if it's anything like Vanuatu or Samoa will be extremely inefficient, expensive and will have no buy in from either government. But just as Britain and France somehow managed to keep the co-rule of Vanuatu going until decolonization despite various attempts by Britain to disentangle itself, I can picture Hawaii staggering on year after year, with every new American 'advisor' to their Royal Hawaiian Majesty convinced that any day now Washington will be able to annex the place.

Crucially, that's a system which is going to discourage settler colonialism; Vanuatu saw serious concerns in Australasia every time the demographic balance tipped ever so slightly to the French. A Hawaiian Condominium will firstly encourage expansionists in New South Wales, Queensland, Victoria and New Zealand who wanted a more muscular British policy in Polynesia- in our timeline, after the Hawaiian monarchy fell the New Zealand premier threatened President McKinley with dire consequences if America moved in.* For America's part, there will be less interest in emigration to the islands given that there will be much less easy pickings and less support from the government.

Throughout all this, I'd expect the monarchy to retain a nominal role, aka to the Kings of Tonga under British influence.

How this Condominium would deal with Japanese or other imported non-white labourers is hard to say. But I can envisage this leading to a majority-Hawaiian state at the time of decolonisation, albeit with an American 'lease' on Pearl Harbor.

*I also have a scribbled reference in my notes to him suggesting that Britain try to enlist the aid of the Japanese to keep America out of the islands, almost a decade before the A-J alliance!

Indeed. The US could accept an independent Hawaii but it could not accept any other power controlling Hawaii. Indeed, many people who opposed the annexation of the Philippines supported that of Hawaii.

Why the specific focus on making a majority-Hawaiian Hawaii? There could be _more diverse_ courses of immigration - African and Latin as well as Asian and European. That can _also_ with a more politically active- and less dispossessed native Hawaiian population as long as colonialism doesn't get actually involved.

With a stronger British policy in Polynesia, would we see a push to seize or pay for the French Pacific Islands in order to incorporate the entire South Pacific into the dominions, if only to make the country look bigger on the map as with Smut's wishes for a Cape-to-Kenya South Africa?

Hawaii, I fear, had a population much too vulnerable to Eurasian diseases and a land mass much too attractive for potential migrants for immigration not to occur. That so many of the migrant communities came not under American rule but under the monarchy suggests to me that, even if Hawaii remained an independent state, there would not have been much of a constituency supportive of limiting immigration. Fiji, with a population split between indigenous and non-indigenous groups but with indigenous groups commanding the state, is probably a best-case scenario from this perspective.

Deaths to disease were a huge part of this. The Native Hawaiian population still isn't up to pre-contact levels.

Why were Native Hawaiians so affected by European diseases? They weren't isolated for as long as Native Americans, let alone Aboriginal Australians. In addition, they had domesticates.

Back