• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Makemakean Does Various Graphical Things!

Thank you, good gentlemen, that is very heartwarming.

I've always been fond of drawing robots. When I was a kid, I would at times just fill entire pages with them in my spare time.

View attachment 41126
I've been trying to find good examples of the Usborne robots online, but I keep getting more recent results which are in a different style. Your use of analogies also reminds me of them though:

1626787493159.png

I've been trying to find good examples of the Usborne robots online, but I keep getting more recent results which are in a different style. Your use of analogies also reminds me of them though:

View attachment 41127

Oh, yeah! I remember those books! My parents bought me and my sister one of them (in Swedish translation) when we were kids about how various household appliances work.

Decided to try to do a vector illustration of William Stanley Jevons, a 19th century economist most known as a pioneer of the theory of marginal utility and for a passionate advocacy of the use of mathematical methodology in economics as a science. He was also both an alumnus of and member of the faculty at UCL.

Jevons_picture.png

I should probably try to draw another picture of Brynhildur one of these days, now that I feel that I am ever so slightly better at drawing women. I suppose the sense of fashion I kind of want to go for is something that is elegant, yet casual, imposing yet utilitarian.

View attachment 33308

Yeah... I suppose that'll do.

I legit want this outfit

My original idea of what Brynhildur looks like is a cross between Emily Deschanel's facial features and the general look of Dallas Howard in Jurassic World. Though my idea was that her sense of fashion would seem... just as elegant but more loose-fitting, more comfortable. There's a sense of being in control, but it should all look functional, convenient. Like there's an idea behind everything.

The idea behind Frank Lloyd Wright's buildings, as opposed to actually being Frank Lloyd Wright's buildings (which @Guernsey Donkey will attest to to a very great extent are all fairly inconvenient structures that from an engineering point of view of just abominations).

My original idea of what Brynhildur looks like is a cross between Emily Deschanel's facial features and the general look of Dallas Howard in Jurassic World. Though my idea was that her sense of fashion would seem... just as elegant but more loose-fitting, more comfortable. There's a sense of being in control, but it should all look functional, convenient. Like there's an idea behind everything.

The idea behind Frank Lloyd Wright's buildings, as opposed to actually being Frank Lloyd Wright's buildings (which @Guernsey Donkey will attest to to a very great extent are all fairly inconvenient structures that from an engineering point of view of just abominations).
Frank Lloyd Wright pushed engineering more than being abominations. His Imperial Hotel in Tokyo was one of the few buildings which survived the Great Kanto Earthquake (and the fire bombing)

Yeah, there can be no denial about it. Design Doll is a piece of insanely powerful software. Cheating in drawing has never been easier. A shame that the Japanese developers has only made it functional on Windows so far so that I had to install it on an external drive and everything, but, hey, the results speak for themselves:

insanely powerful.png

Whenever I do draw and end up searching for reference pictures, it inevitably always ends up affecting the ads I get online for several months. Up through the summer, I had countless ads for buying Marie-Antoinette style cosplay dresses for women. I've already begun getting ads for silk shirts for women.

Anyway, we are getting there, slowly...

gettingThere.png

For the next difficult part, the hair. I'll do it in three "chunks". Bangs, right side, and left side:

hair_progress.png

Hrm... Think I'm going to have to pur this project on the ice for a little while while I figure out how to do the hair properly.

On the one hand, there are aspects of what I've done so far that I really like, but I feel myself oddly unsatisfied...

hairspermantation.png

I feel the hair looks, well, stale, oddly metallic. Both stylized and static, while what I really want is something a bit more dynamic and flowing in nature, like in this reference picture:

referencePicHair.png

I'm going to have to experiment a little on this...

Nah, I eventually figured that, you know what, you've got to be prepared to leave behind some transitional fossils. I'll get better at doing hair at some time in the future. So here she is now, finished:

Brynhildur_Full.png

Have I grown better as an artist in the past couple of years?

icelandic_pm_43.png

I dunno... I feel like the only thing that's actually happened is that I've gotten better at hiding how I'm actually a really bad artist. :p

Ever since I was a kid I've struggled to keep my characters looking consistent one drawing to the next, in particular when it comes to the faces, and in particular when it comes to drawing the same face from different angles. The only comfort I can really draw is that the great Jean-Claude Mézières seems to struggle with the same thing himself, Laureline's face changing subtly from panel to panel.

So I need to practice. I don't know to what extent Brynhildur really looks consistent with the image above, but, well, transitional fossils...

Brynhildur_new.png

So, Max, what can you tell us about the Nordic Empire in 2021?

Well, err-... They've got an inexplicably photogenic Chancery President!

I see. Go on...

She, err-... She likes to drink coffee.

And-...?

She drinks coffee a lot, and-...

You still have no clue about the geopolitics of present day, do you?

I have no idea whatsoever!

Brynhildur2Draw.png

I dunno... Not entirely pleased with this one. It's one of those pictures that you draw, and you're satisfied with it, then do a flip-horizontal on it, and immediately, you are made aware of all the places you went wrong on the symmetry and so forth, and... it's just ugly and you hate it. I also really need to practice drawing folds on clothes and fabrics a lot more.

But, oh well, transitional fossils.

I suppose that it's up for @Bolt451 to decide whether she still wants this outfit:

Brynhildur2.jpg

Back