• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Makemakean Does Various Graphical Things!

Rough sketch for an idea of mine: "Grothendieck constructing the scheme from sheaves and topological spaces, Northern Italy, c:a 1340."

View attachment 56128
back in my day all my triplets were excited about constructing the scheme from sheaves. Nowadays, the lazy bastards can't even pretend. Probably those iPhones

By the way, if you're wondering why I keep posting these updates with very limited progress, it's because it takes forever to just do a single building, and because, after spending four-five hours doing just a single building, I kind of crave some recognition in the form of likes.

RomanProgress5.png

A problem here is going to be the balancing. To make up for the lack of symmetry inherent in that the gnomes (they're all supposed to be the same gnome) not performing symmetric actions, I'm going to have to balance things out by adding some additional stuff to the various 'rooms' or 'boxes':

Gnomology.png

Some nice lamps in the ceilings will be nice (in the upper right and lower left even entire chandeliers). And perhaps a few paitings on the walls. Not too much, but I'll have to think some more.

I dunno... Not entirely pleased with this one. It's one of those pictures that you draw, and you're satisfied with it, then do a flip-horizontal on it, and immediately, you are made aware of all the places you went wrong on the symmetry and so forth, and... it's just ugly and you hate it. I also really need to practice drawing folds on clothes and fabrics a lot more.

But, oh well, transitional fossils.

I suppose that it's up for @Bolt451 to decide whether she still wants this outfit:

Nah I still do. I used to have those sort of boots until I fucked the heel on one of them. Need another pair

Hrm... How does this look for a lamp, or, well, chandelier?

ShineBrightLikeADiamond.png

EDIT: Yeah, that'll do it, I think...

NewChandelier.png

Last edited:
I don't know what Max's ultimate aim is with this project, but in my headcanon he's eventually going to recreate the Encarta maze game. @Lord Roem

Strictly speaking, it's about illustrating the notion of a topological space, which is to say "the most general description of space you can think of."

Like, you start with ordinary three-dimensional space, but then you generalize it, so you can have as many dimensions as possible. And then you generalize it further, so that it doesn't have to be Euclidean, it can be curved. And then you generalize it even further, so that it isn't even necessary that the number of dimensions are the same at every point, and it might not even be possible to define such a notion as a distance between two points. And let's get rid of the very notion of dimensionality. Ah, but when you get away with the notion of dimensionality, what do you mean by point, since the very term point seems to imply the existence of some notion of dimensionality, since a point is something with dimension zero...

And on and on and on... and eventually you end up with topological space, which is the most basic, most general conception of space that mankind has hitherto constructed.

The ultimate aim of this project is to illustrate the idea of "it is possible for two locations to have the same neighbourhoods but still in some sense be distinct".

The first part was the illustration with Rome and the Vatican. Since the Vatican is contained in Rome, every neighbourhood of Rome has to be a neighbourhood of the Vatican.

Here, however, we have a blue box, which contains a red box, which contains a green box, which contains a yellow box, which contains the original blue box. The blue box and the yellow box are "different", but are still "the same" in that every neighbourhood of one has to be a neighbourhood of the other.

Here, however, we have a blue box, which contains a red box, which contains a green box, which contains a yellow box, which contains the original blue box. The blue box and the yellow box are "different", but are still "the same" in that every neighbourhood of one has to be a neighbourhood of the other.
I have a feeling you would like It's For You by John Talbot, though I can't see complete scans online - I think I lent it to Roem once, or was that The Eleventh Hour?

I have a feeling you would like It's For You by John Talbot, though I can't see complete scans online

I don't doubt I would from the few scans I could find online. Mainly though, I had Sven Nordqvist in mind when drawing this (who I mentioned in my Top 11 illustrators), though he is of course far more detail-oriented than me. He has drawn these books which essentially just follows one or two characters as they go through a variety of landscapes and rooms, with each drawing leading directly into the next:

Hundpromenaden%2B2.jpg

Back