• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Lymeswold cheese survives?

Walpurgisnacht

It was in the Year of Maximum Danger
Pronouns
He/Him
In an attempt to increase the balance of payments and use up surplus milk, the Milk Marketing Board created a new cheese in 1982. The name, Lymeswold, was chosen by a public competition, and the type selected from observing that there was a gap in the British market for a soft blue cheese. Initial demand for the cheese was high, following a high-publicity marketing campaign. However, market pressures meant that Lymeswold was released too early, without the cheeses having a chance to mature, and the low quality meant that it could never win over critics. Facing competition from the somewhat less artificial German import Cambozola, Lymeswold production ceased in 1992.

Could things have been different? Perhaps, ironically, a less successful marketing campaign might have reduced demand, given the cheeses time to mature, and given us a higher-quality cheese. Maybe, with such a visible success, the Milk Marketing Board can resist abolition and remain in existence, profoundly affecting UK dairy policy in the present?

Massive fan of this as a topic for counter factual speculation. I personally know nothing at all about this subject and so can't add anything but I'm desperately hoping it turns out one of our other members is a huge anorak about British dairy and we get a 10 paragraph reply.

Massive fan of this as a topic for counter factual speculation. I personally know nothing at all about this subject and so can't add anything but I'm desperately hoping it turns out one of our other members is a huge anorak about British dairy and we get a 10 paragraph reply.

I'm just hoping for someone who ate Lymeswold to show up and tell us how it tasted, really.

Back