• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Lists of Heads of Government and Heads of State

The argument happened, it ended, and now you are trying to revive it with walls of text. Please don’t - if you need to keep arguing, take it to PMs.

no, fuck off. i'm well within my right to respond publicly to something stated about me publicly, ecspecially given that it's in relation to criticism to my piece of work on this thread.

no, fuck off. i'm well within my right to respond publicly to something stated about me publicly, ecspecially given that it's in relation to criticism to my piece of work on this thread.
I said the list seems like Boog shit. And I said it wasn't a very good list and that it looked like trolling, which I do stand by.

I did not call you a Boog. I am sorry, a month later that this is something I have to clarify, I should have been clearer. That is entirely my fault.

I don't know who you are, "Comrade" being part of your username doesn't mean anything. I am not interested in an argument with you about that list, or a list of yours or @Blackentheborg 's that I haven't read, or anything else. If you want to not like me because of that that is fine. Everyone has gained a lot to think about in regards to how we all critique other peoples posts. Can we stop before Mods have to get involved and punitive actions have to get taken?

Flamewars are help no one.

1979-2000: Margaret Thatcher (Conservative and Unionist)
1979 (Majority) def. James Callaghan (Labour), David Steel (Liberal)
1983 (Majority) def. Michael Foot (Labour), David Steel & Roy Jenkins (SDP-Liberal Alliance)
1988 (Majority) def. Roy Hattersley (Labour), David Steel & Robert Maclennan (Liberal Democrats)
1993 (Majority) def. Neil Kinnock (Labour), Paddy Ashdown (Liberal Democrats)
1998 (Majority) def. John Prescott (Labour), Paddy Ashdown (Liberal Democrats), Alex Salmond (SNP)

2000-2007: William Hague (Conservative and Unionist)
2003 (Minority with UUP confidence and supply) def. Tony Blair (Labour), Paddy Ashdown (Liberal Democrats), Alex Salmond (SNP), David Trimble (UUP)
2005 (Coalition with Liberal Democrats) def. Diane Abbott (Labour), Paddy Ashdown (Liberal Democrats), Alex Salmond (SNP), David Trimble (UUP)

2007-2015: Kenneth Clarke (Conservative and Unionist)
2010 (Coalition with Liberal Democrats) def. David Miliband (Labour), Paddy Ashdown (Liberal Democrats), Alex Salmond (SNP), Nigel Farage (UKIP)
2014 EU Referendum: 51.6% Remain, 49.4% Leave

2015-2017: David Miliband (Labour)
2015 (Majority) def. Kenneth Clarke (Conservative and Unionist), Alex Salmond (SNP), Charles Kennedy (Liberal Democrats), Nigel Farage (UKIP)
2017 (Majority) def. Philip Hammond (Conservative and Unionist), Alex Salmond (SNP), Vince Cable (Liberal Democrats), Nigel Farage (UKIP)
2017 EU Referendum: 54.2% Leave, 46.8% Remain

2017-0000: John McDonnell (Labour)
2018 Scottish Independence Referendum: 59.7% No, 41.3% Yes

*In November 1999, having led her party for almost 25 years, and her nation for over 20, Margaret Thatcher shockingly announces her resignation as leader of the Conservative Party. One month later, 39 year old William Hague becomes the youngest Tory leader in over a hundred years, and on the first day of the new millenium, he acceeds to the premiership. Thatcher immediately resigns from the Commons and is made Lady Thatcher of Kesteven. The Tories hold Finchley and Golders Green in the ensuing by-election.
*Despite a small gain in seats for the Labour Party, Diane Abbott loses her seat, necessitating her resignation as leader of the Labour Party. She is soon replaced by David Miliband, after an acting leadership lasting a few months courtesy of Deputy Leader Jack Straw.
*Having led his party to two hung parliaments, in mid 2007, the Prime Minister announces his coming resignation as leader of the Conservative Party. Kenneth Clarke, of the opposite wing of the Tory party to Hague, is elected his replacement and soon assumes the premiership.
*The Liberal Democrats lose half their seats in retaliation for them going into coalition with the Conservatives. Deputy Prime Minister Paddy Ashdown announces his resignation as leader of the Liberal Democrats, after 22 years leading the party. He is soon replaced by Charles Kennedy, who becomes Deputy Prime Minister on his ascension to the Liberal Democrat leadership .
*In the landslide defeat for the Conservatives, the Prime Minister lost his seat, as well as Deputy Prime Minister Charles Kennedy, with the Liberal Democrats going into single figures. Theresa May becomes acting Conservative Leader, while Vince Cable becomes acting Liberal Democrat leader. Philip Hammond is later elected Conservative Leader, and Vince Cable is elected Lib Dem leader in his own right.
*The second EU Referendum was held on the same day as the General Election. Although it results in an increased majority for Labour, the public votes to leave the EU 54 to 46. David Miliband announces his resignation as Leader of the Labour Party and his replacement, John McDonnell, is elected two months after.

I made a pretty ASB list of election results when I was in Year Ten with a divergence from 1983, with the Tories getting a landslide majority of over 250. I don't have the specifics of seat numbers on me right now unfortunately, but I do remember the leaders, their times in office, roughly where each party stands in parliament, and some big names who lost their seats after results. As for why Paddy lasts 22 years in the Lib Dem leadership, he does vastly, vastly better and eventually reaches about 120 seats, before crashing down to 60ish in 2010, mainly at the behest of Labour. Thoughts?

look dog im just saying, kitzhaber is a very good mccarthy analogy in the right hands...

Analogy Hours:
George H.W. Bush/Dan Quayle (Republican) 1989-1997{1}

1988 Def. Michael Dukakis/Lloyd Bentsen (Democratic)
1992 Def. Michael Dukakis/Jesse Jackson (Democratic)

John McCloskey/Jim Sasser (Democratic) 1997-1999{2}
Jim Sasser/
none (Democratic) 1999-1999
Jim Sasser/Tony Earl (Democratic) 1999-2005 {3}

1996 Def. Dan Quayle/Pete Wilson (Republican), Walter Hickel/Ron Volesky (Unpledged Electors - Prairie Alliance)
2000 Def. Ron Paul/Joe DioGuardi (Republican)

Dan Quayle/Michael Steele (Republican) 2005-2009 {4}
Dan Quayle/
none (Republican) 2009-2009
Dan Quayle/John Boehner (Republican) 2009-2010
John Boehner/
none (Republican) 2010-2010
John Boehner/George Pataki (Republican) 2010-2013 {5}
2004 Def. Tony Earl/Joseph Brennan (Democratic), John Hoeven/Michael Colley (Unity)
2008 Def. Patty Murray/Kathleen McCloskey (Democratic)

Jim Folsom Jr./Russ Feingold (Democratic) 2013-2017 {6}
2012 Def. John Boehner/Bill Kristol (Republican), John Kitzhaber/none (Independent)
Kelsey Grammer/John Yoo (Republican) 2017-???? {7}
2016 Def. Jim Folsom Jr./Russ Feingold (Democratic), Charles Barkley/Tim Penny (Independent)
2020 Def. Russ Feingold/Julian Castro (Democratic)

{1} Immensely popular moderate Republican who wins two terms over the same opponent as most of his accomplishments occur overseas.
{2} A young and popular Senator whose father was a famous peace activist in America's most recent major conflict with some... controversial opinions on people of the Jewish faith.
{3} Southern conservative ex-Senate Majority Leader who uses his immense knowledge of the parliamentary systems of America to pass massive amounts of liberal legislation in order to complete the legacy of his fallen predecessor. Defeats a noted Libertarian and a buddy from NY in a landslide while running with a reformist midwesterner. Presidency ends due to a controversial war and a primary from the left.
{4} Ex-VP who, alongside a first term ethnic minority[1] Governor of Maryland, ends up completing a political comeback and getting himself elected president. Despite a controversial but often historically memorable term, he's most remembered for him and his VP getting kicked out of office for corruption[2].
{5} Midwestern Republican House Leader chosen to unite the nation after a corrupt predecessor, grows unpopular due to economic downturn and a growing conservative movement in his own party who hates him and his liberal ex-New York Governor VP.
{6} Former Southern Governor with a history of reformist attitudes yet anti-labor policies gets nominated running against the Washington establishment and chooses a midwestern politician as his VP only to spend four years struggling to get anything done and fighting against a split congress. Despite all this he loses to a conservative only because of a foreign policy failure.
{7} A former actor and some horribly corrupt ex-administration official defeat the incumbent president and some third party candidate to return the conservative movement to the White House. Despite 8 years of constant scandals, anti-Civil Rights action, economic anxiety, and a "controversial" response to a deadly pandemic, he remains popular across the nation for his charisma and ends up helping Republicans break into new ground (Asian and Latino voters) to help them build a constant governing coalition.

[1] comedy satire
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Quayle#Cerberus_Capital_Management, idk what they get Steele on

look dog im just saying, kitzhaber is a very good mccarthy analogy in the right hands...

Analogy Hours:
George H.W. Bush/Dan Quayle (Republican) 1989-1997{1}

1988 Def. Michael Dukakis/Lloyd Bentsen (Democratic)
1992 Def. Michael Dukakis/Jesse Jackson (Democratic)

John McCloskey/Jim Sasser (Democratic) 1997-1999{2}
Jim Sasser/
none (Democratic) 1999-1999
Jim Sasser/Tony Earl (Democratic) 1999-2005 {3}

1996 Def. Dan Quayle/Pete Wilson (Republican), Walter Hickel/Ron Volesky (Unpledged Electors - Prairie Alliance)
2000 Def. Ron Paul/Joe DioGuardi (Republican)

Dan Quayle/Michael Steele (Republican) 2005-2009 {4}
Dan Quayle/
none (Republican) 2009-2009
Dan Quayle/John Boehner (Republican) 2009-2010
John Boehner/
none (Republican) 2010-2010
John Boehner/George Pataki (Republican) 2010-2013 {5}
2004 Def. Tony Earl/Joseph Brennan (Democratic), John Hoeven/Michael Colley (Unity)
2008 Def. Patty Murray/Kathleen McCloskey (Democratic)

Jim Folsom Jr./Russ Feingold (Democratic) 2013-2017 {6}
2012 Def. John Boehner/Bill Kristol (Republican), John Kitzhaber/none (Independent)
Kelsey Grammer/John Yoo (Republican) 2017-???? {7}
2016 Def. Jim Folsom Jr./Russ Feingold (Democratic), Charles Barkley/Tim Penny (Independent)
2020 Def. Russ Feingold/Julian Castro (Democratic)

{1} Immensely popular moderate Republican who wins two terms over the same opponent as most of his accomplishments occur overseas.
{2} A young and popular Senator whose father was a famous peace activist in America's most recent major conflict with some... controversial opinions on people of the Jewish faith.
{3} Southern conservative ex-Senate Majority Leader who uses his immense knowledge of the parliamentary systems of America to pass massive amounts of liberal legislation in order to complete the legacy of his fallen predecessor. Defeats a noted Libertarian and a buddy from NY in a landslide while running with a reformist midwesterner. Presidency ends due to a controversial war and a primary from the left.
{4} Ex-VP who, alongside a first term ethnic minority[1] Governor of Maryland, ends up completing a political comeback and getting himself elected president. Despite a controversial but often historically memorable term, he's most remembered for him and his VP getting kicked out of office for corruption[2].
{5} Midwestern Republican House Leader chosen to unite the nation after a corrupt predecessor, grows unpopular due to economic downturn and a growing conservative movement in his own party who hates him and his liberal ex-New York Governor VP.
{6} Former Southern Governor with a history of reformist attitudes yet anti-labor policies gets nominated running against the Washington establishment and chooses a midwestern politician as his VP only to spend four years struggling to get anything done and fighting against a split congress. Despite all this he loses to a conservative only because of a foreign policy failure.
{7} A former actor and some horribly corrupt ex-administration official defeat the incumbent president and some third party candidate to return the conservative movement to the White House. Despite 8 years of constant scandals, anti-Civil Rights action, economic anxiety, and a "controversial" response to a deadly pandemic, he remains popular across the nation for his charisma and ends up helping Republicans break into new ground (Asian and Latino voters) to help them build a constant governing coalition.

[1] comedy satire
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Quayle#Cerberus_Capital_Management, idk what they get Steele on

yeah i’d argue greeks are the most oppressed people on earth

MONDALE waits 4 years

Ronald Wilson Reagan / George Herbert Bush

Def : Gary Warren Hart/ Alan McGregor Cranston

Walter Frits Mondale{Lloyed Willard Benson jr.

Def: George Herbert Bush { Dan Quayle

Jack kemp { Elizabeth Dole
Def:
Walter Frits Mondale{ Lloyd Willard Benson jr

MONDALE waits 4 years

Ronald Wilson Reagan / George Herbert Bush

Def : Gary Warren Hart/ Alan McGregor Cranston

Walter Frits Mondale{Lloyed Willard Benson jr.

Def: George Herbert Bush { Dan Quayle

Jack kemp { Elizabeth Dole
Def:
Walter Frits Mondale{ Lloyd Willard Benson jr
this the realest shit ever posted

1979-2000: Margaret Thatcher (Conservative and Unionist)
1979 (Majority) def. James Callaghan (Labour), David Steel (Liberal)
1983 (Majority) def. Michael Foot (Labour), David Steel & Roy Jenkins (SDP-Liberal Alliance)
1988 (Majority) def. Roy Hattersley (Labour), David Steel & Robert Maclennan (Liberal Democrats)
1993 (Majority) def. Neil Kinnock (Labour), Paddy Ashdown (Liberal Democrats)
1998 (Majority) def. John Prescott (Labour), Paddy Ashdown (Liberal Democrats), Alex Salmond (SNP)

2000-2007: William Hague (Conservative and Unionist)
2003 (Minority with UUP confidence and supply) def. Tony Blair (Labour), Paddy Ashdown (Liberal Democrats), Alex Salmond (SNP), David Trimble (UUP)
2005 (Coalition with Liberal Democrats) def. Diane Abbott (Labour), Paddy Ashdown (Liberal Democrats), Alex Salmond (SNP), David Trimble (UUP)

2007-2015: Kenneth Clarke (Conservative and Unionist)
2010 (Coalition with Liberal Democrats) def. David Miliband (Labour), Paddy Ashdown (Liberal Democrats), Alex Salmond (SNP), Nigel Farage (UKIP)
2014 EU Referendum: 51.6% Remain, 49.4% Leave

2015-2017: David Miliband (Labour)
2015 (Majority) def. Kenneth Clarke (Conservative and Unionist), Alex Salmond (SNP), Charles Kennedy (Liberal Democrats), Nigel Farage (UKIP)
2017 (Majority) def. Philip Hammond (Conservative and Unionist), Alex Salmond (SNP), Vince Cable (Liberal Democrats), Nigel Farage (UKIP)
2017 EU Referendum: 54.2% Leave, 46.8% Remain

2017-0000: John McDonnell (Labour)
2018 Scottish Independence Referendum: 59.7% No, 41.3% Yes

*In November 1999, having led her party for almost 25 years, and her nation for over 20, Margaret Thatcher shockingly announces her resignation as leader of the Conservative Party. One month later, 39 year old William Hague becomes the youngest Tory leader in over a hundred years, and on the first day of the new millenium, he acceeds to the premiership. Thatcher immediately resigns from the Commons and is made Lady Thatcher of Kesteven. The Tories hold Finchley and Golders Green in the ensuing by-election.
*Despite a small gain in seats for the Labour Party, Diane Abbott loses her seat, necessitating her resignation as leader of the Labour Party. She is soon replaced by David Miliband, after an acting leadership lasting a few months courtesy of Deputy Leader Jack Straw.
*Having led his party to two hung parliaments, in mid 2007, the Prime Minister announces his coming resignation as leader of the Conservative Party. Kenneth Clarke, of the opposite wing of the Tory party to Hague, is elected his replacement and soon assumes the premiership.
*The Liberal Democrats lose half their seats in retaliation for them going into coalition with the Conservatives. Deputy Prime Minister Paddy Ashdown announces his resignation as leader of the Liberal Democrats, after 22 years leading the party. He is soon replaced by Charles Kennedy, who becomes Deputy Prime Minister on his ascension to the Liberal Democrat leadership .
*In the landslide defeat for the Conservatives, the Prime Minister lost his seat, as well as Deputy Prime Minister Charles Kennedy, with the Liberal Democrats going into single figures. Theresa May becomes acting Conservative Leader, while Vince Cable becomes acting Liberal Democrat leader. Philip Hammond is later elected Conservative Leader, and Vince Cable is elected Lib Dem leader in his own right.
*The second EU Referendum was held on the same day as the General Election. Although it results in an increased majority for Labour, the public votes to leave the EU 54 to 46. David Miliband announces his resignation as Leader of the Labour Party and his replacement, John McDonnell, is elected two months after.

I made a pretty ASB list of election results when I was in Year Ten with a divergence from 1983, with the Tories getting a landslide majority of over 250. I don't have the specifics of seat numbers on me right now unfortunately, but I do remember the leaders, their times in office, roughly where each party stands in parliament, and some big names who lost their seats after results. As for why Paddy lasts 22 years in the Lib Dem leadership, he does vastly, vastly better and eventually reaches about 120 seats, before crashing down to 60ish in 2010, mainly at the behest of Labour. Thoughts?

Larger LibDems fit well with Labour taking more time to come back, this is pretty good. Your formatting is also excellent which is always appreciated!

I wonder why Miliband is okay with having a second referendum only 3 years after the first though. Or even why the Tory/LibDem coalition thought the first was a good idea. Would that be a case of pre Brexit realignment LibDems making it a part of their program for more democracy? Also, speaking of that, no voting reform attempt from them?

Now I really want to hear about McDonnell's Brexit.

My only criticism is that if Labour lost in 1998 that whole, realignment of the Left would have likely lead to a Progressive Alliance being formed but that’s going into the bushes a bit based upon what everyone was predicting during the 92-94 era.

dude i don't want to talk about this either. it's not fun for me. but i literally left for the night with nothing happening and came back and people are arguing over shit that spefically involved me with like zero context beyond "i a little over critical" and "i don't like that your over critical but i'm also over aggressive". i'm sorry, but please try to understand
If you don't don't to talk about it, why are you talking about it?

Moderator Post:

You were given a warning a month ago about the need for maintaining civility within this thread (Rule 1). You have a right to respond publicly but it doesn't extend to your use of language here. It is not acceptable and you are kicked for a week.

SLP is my favorite place because everyone on here is basically the result of being british, thinking internet cliques are important, and not getting any fucking bitches

it’s a noxious combination fs but i’m here for it

Moderator post:

Once again, you are reminded that this is not Discord. You had a warning two days ago, you've now taken a situation where there was no call for your words here and risked aggravating an already uncivil discussion. This time you are kicked for a week.

Back