• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Lists of Heads of Government and Heads of State

Must say lads there really are some brutal critiques going on in a thread which is designed for content which is just a bit of fun. You wouldn't talk to someone like this in person.

Harsh criticism was never the intention, if I came across that way, I'm sorry.

Also can people please stop escalating from there? Can't we accept a mild rebuke when we've made other uncomfortable?

You did sort of accuse Comrade Izaac of being some sort of boogaloo adjacent accelerationist based on a fairly innocuous list relatively not that long ago...
I remember that. It was satire on how the right-wing is involved in Qanon and all that stuff, and that somehow made Izaac one of them. I still don't understand how one man can pull off so many flips in his mental gymnastics.

I remember that. It was satire on how the right-wing is involved in Qanon and all that stuff, and that somehow made Izaac one of them. I still don't understand how one man can pull off so many flips in his mental gymnastics.

Yes Im aware you remember that because you sent me a bunch of angry PMs about it for hours because of it.

Just seems like Boog shit

Just bad trolling at best.

That's what I posted. It was just edgy trolling and bad satire. That's it. And because of your long, drawn out anger that I said it I haven't bothered with you or him or the other one who gets mad about anything here since.

You did sort of accuse Comrade Izaac of being some sort of boogaloo adjacent accelerationist based on a fairly innocuous list relatively not that long ago...
These are really valid points, and I’m sort of loathe to rehash that debate, but I also think we should recognise that not all criticism is bad criticism, and a lot of the critiques I received in this thread’s spiritual successor made me a much better writer than I was four years ago - I’m sure this is true of many other posters. That said, I think it’s worth remembering that this is a two way street; I think people can get too aggressive in their criticism here (though @Japhy is, IMO, more often helpful, constructive, and friendly to newer posters) but people also often react to criticism with unwarranted aggression too. I think in the incident described in particular there was some confusion because most people didn’t know a newer poster, and so made some (admittedly unwarranted) assumptions that they wouldn’t if, say, @Mumby posted a list with a similar premise. That’s something we need to look out for and be better about, but I don’t think all the criticism of that list was invalid (or that all criticism in this thread is always hostile) because of it.

Yes Im aware you remember that because you sent me a bunch of angry PMs about it for hours because of it.
It was just edgy trolling and bad satire. That's it.
Okay how the FUCK was it trolling tho?!
How the actual shit was that list in any way a troll?!
Japh, Japhery, Japherson, this isn't criticism. You're just finding excuses to hate on a list!

Let's all stop flaming and post lists :)

The Democratic Reagan and the "Hamlet" of the Bronx

2021 - 2023: Fmr. Vice President Joe Biden (Democratic)
2020 (with Kamala Harris) def. President Donald J. Trump (Republican)
2023 - 2025: Vice President Kamala Harris (Democratic)

2025 - 2029: Fmr. Senator Scott Brown (Republican)
2024 (with Josh Hawley) def. President Kamala Harris (Democratic), Fmr. Rep. Justin Amash (Libertarian), Faithless elector for Gov. Stacey Abrams

2029 - 2037: Governor Stacey Abrams (Democratic)
2028 (with Amy McGrath) def. President Scott Brown (Republican), Fmr. Rep. Joe Walsh (Independent), faithless elector for Sen. Raphael Warnock
2032 (with Amy McGrath) def. Fmr. Vice Pres. Josh Hawley (Republican)

2037 - present: H.M.L. Alexandria Ocasio Cortez (Democratic)
2036 (with Malcolm Kenyatta) def. Governor Candace Owens (Republican), Vice President Amy McGrath (Limitless America)

Democratic: 43762e
Republican: 763c2e
Libertarian: 2e6776
Independent Democratic: 589b3c

Limitless America: 762e43

Honestly, I find this FH list rather boring, narrative wise. There's no failures shown from the Turner Presidency, when even the greatest leaders have their failures.

Absolutely no narrative tension, no 'this policy will have to wait another year' stuff.

Most interesting bit was the implication that America was becoming diplomatically isolated in the world, but that's not followed up on.

oh yeah it was inarguably meant to be a wank. like i said in the post proper, it was one of my best cast scenarios for the future and i do want to expand on it later, these were just my general ideas.

also, i can't believe we're still talking about this, but calling me a boog was fucked and childish and i'm still not exactly happy about it, given that everything was dilebrately done to prevent any confusion (like the big bold Part One) and when those of you who did try to get on my ass for being a "fash with the name comrade" who many of you have know before, y'all decided to justify acting like assholes by claiming that i was somehow at fault for making a "joke" that was literally just meant to set the premise for the overall story. that was my problem with the whole incident.

that being said there is such a thing as constructive criticism and noone is above it. i don't mind getting criticized if i think it's warranted, or, most importantly, if the situation actually calls for it. this is something that Blacken and others point out, but i'm doing this for me as much as i'm doing it for any of you and if i feel like writing and posting something a little repetitive because it's interesting to me personally and makes me feel better, i'm going to post it and not give much of a shit about your criticisms. and i try to keep that in mind when interacting with other users on here. i see a post i don't nessecarily like or find interesting? i don't say anything unless i'm asked, because that's someone else's art and most likely or not, they're enjoying it and just want a medium to express themselves rather than a panel of essayist judges.

that's part of the reason why, despite really liking alternate history and a lot of the users on here, i almost just dipped after the incident. that was my first post lmao and it really made me feel like shit posting something that i was excited to write about for people who i respect only to get dogged on and accused of being a white supremacist despite literally all the context clues pointing to otherwise. a lot of you seem to have the impression that anyone cares about your opinion specifically and that everyone needs to hear critique about their work constantly and i can absolutely understand how that can get exhausting for someone because i felt exhausted after it happened once.

it's an alternate history forum on the internet and the world as we know it is ending. most of us here have either jobs, school or both, so i don't see how bringing the same kind of understandily rigid attitude that we are forced hold in every other part of our lives into a forum that yeah, is supposed to be fun, is worth it or going to make anyone want to improve their craft.

fun fact about that list, it was supposed to end with trump and several other major campaign members going under investigation for embezzlement, getting impeached, leading to a soft civil war and the u.n eventually stepping in to install a provisional government. that TL was going to serve as the base of a much larger concept that i was very excited to delve into and now i will never explore that because i get anxious when i think about it.

and that adds to my point. i'm guessing there are plenty of people on here who have ideas that might actually be interesting and don't want to post them for fear of getting dogpiled by six assholes who all think they're harry turtledove. that's not exactly a culture that fosters constructive criticism or improvement.

Please stop with bringing up weeks-old posts. I was hoping the controversy was dead, but I guess not.

dude i don't want to talk about this either. it's not fun for me. but i literally left for the night with nothing happening and came back and people are arguing over shit that spefically involved me with like zero context beyond "i a little over critical" and "i don't like that your over critical but i'm also over aggressive". i'm sorry, but please try to understand

dude i don't want to talk about this either. it's not fun for me. but i literally left for the night with nothing happening and came back and people are arguing over shit that spefically involved me with like zero context beyond "i a little over critical" and "i don't like that your over critical but i'm also over agreesive". i'm sorry, but please try to understand

The argument happened, it ended, and now you are trying to revive it with walls of text. Please don’t - if you need to keep arguing, take it to PMs.

Back