• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Lilitou's Liminal Letterbox

I realise now that Nigel Farage is the actual funny person to say for that (and I can sort of see it)

The 2018 Yorkshire provinicial election was held in Yorkshire on 13 June 2018. Incumbent Sheriff Gavin Williamson was defeated by Jodie Whittaker. The Republicans lost their overall majority in the Provincial Council, while the Chartists emerged as the largest party only 2 seats short of a majority. They entered a coalition government with the Radical Party.

The election followed three years of tumult. Williamson had been elected in 2015 with a rare majority, and was seen as a wunderkind who had turned around the fortunes of the Republicans by presenting himself as a clean-break from the previous Republican provinicial government of Andrew Jones. Three years later, this sheen had worn off. The government of Williamson was marred in scandal after scandal, starting in the 2016 Dirty Hands scandal, continuing through the Republican #SpeakOut scandal, and to the 2017 Pig Fat scandal. Williamson was seen as a lame duck, and though there were attempts to replace him as leader, plotters struggled to present an agreeable replacement candidate.

Whittaker emerged as leader of the Yorkshire Political Union, the provincial wing of the Chartist Party, after contentious local leader John Cable stepped down. She had become well-known for her work in The Colour of Magic, and turned towards provinicial politics as part of the #SpeakOut movement. Her election was controversial, with claims that fans of her work as an actress had joined the YPU en masse to vote for her. Nevertheless, she was seen as a popular figure, and is credited for the revival of the Chartists' image after the gaffe-prone Cable years.

The campaign largely focused on the scandals of the Williamson government, to which the Republicans had no effective response. Williamson initially discounted that the scandals had "cut-through" with the electorate. He later claimed that the scandals were a conspiracy to discredit him personally. In contrast, Whittaker presented herself as a "free-thinking" candidate, outside the mold of a normal Chartist, and pledged to restore stability to the provincial government, while investing in the region's growing digital and cultural economies, engaging in a housebuilding program, and legislating for Yorkshire to become a "haven province" for asylum seekers. The Republicans countered that Whittaker would "bankrupt the province by giving refugees lavish estates". In response the Chartists ran an ad focusing on Williamson's lawsuits, which went viral on the Instanet; "House money or hush money?". Williamson avoided media for much of the rest of the campaign, and on election day all polls pointed toward a Chartist victory.

In the aftermath of the election, Whittaker formed a coalition government with the smaller Radical Party, giving her government a working majority of 62. Whittaker was confirmed as Sheriff by the Provincial Council on the 22 June 2018. Radicals were appointed to prominent provinicial ministerial roles in justice, education and infrastructure, and Radical leader David Davis was appointed as deputy Sheriff.

Yorkshire Day.png

Last edited:
I like how everything is completely different with no explanation, with a constant stream of cryptic background references. Great stuff.

Thanks! My vague idea was that this is a timeline where the Days of May toppled the monarchy, so you get Chartists really ingrained into the national consciousness, and a political right that can define itself as republican (likely, I imagine, quite some time after all this happens).

The end result I think is a kind of strangereal, where things are realistic and mostly recognisable, but slightly off. So you have recognisable big-tent left- and right-wing parties, you have well-known figures, you have cultural movements, but the parties have weird names and vibes, the figures are in the wrong places, and the cultural movements are different. The Colour of Magic, a television adaptation of the entire Discworld series rather than just the first book, is meant to be a kind of "British Game of Thrones" (though I imagine Pratchett is rolling in his grave ITTL and IOTL at the thought).

Something to do with unlabelled or wrongly labelled meats and animal fats in which the provincial government really drops the ball. Never gave it much more thought than that! The one I gave more thought to was #SpeakOut, which I think is fairly overt in being a #MeToo-esque movement.

Oxbuckshire

It makes a change from Oxfordshire being in "South East England" as in OTL and a TL I did with English devolution

Maybe A west Home counties one that includes Gloucestershire, just "the M4" as a constituency. Just to piss Glos people off who dont get to be Midlands OR Westcountry.

It makes a change from Oxfordshire being in "South East England" as in OTL and a TL I did with English devolution

Maybe A west Home counties one that includes Gloucestershire, just "the M4" as a constituency. Just to piss Glos people off who dont get to be Midlands OR Westcountry.
Devonwall

I never shared this fucking thing outside of the PMQs thread, so figured why not.

Enjoy Putinist Britain, entirely based on a off-hand comment about how the "British Labour Liberal Democratic Party" sounded like a bonkers party name.

To pointlessly extrapolate I'm assuming Ulster is Donbass and Ireland is Ukraine in this scenario (with NI part of Ireland and Loyalists then wanting to rejoin Britain? :p

To pointlessly extrapolate I'm assuming Ulster is Donbass and Ireland is Ukraine in this scenario (with NI part of Ireland and Loyalists then wanting to rejoin Britain? :p

Ah yes, the Antrim and Down People's Republics!

this has now given me the urge to write a lovecraftian political thriller

A big part of the horror in Lovecraftian horror is learning that the monsters are all-permeating, that you're the fishman or the ratperson or whatever and that you can't possibly have a world without the horrors embedded in it. So I think that'd jibe quite well with politics.

Back