• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Least favorite alt-history story?

I've seen the summaries of this and a few other of this author's books on the Zon. I looked inside a couple, and the stories are horribly written from a technical standpoint (spelling and grammar make it difficult to read). The blurbs and snippets I've read make it clear that this author is heavily right-wring and prone to "'Murica! Fuck yeah!" In one sense, someone's political leanings are their business. But in this case it means that the author depicts anyone who's not right-wing (or not American) as ridiculous, implausible caricatures which are both pure fantasy and totally uninteresting to read about.

On the plus side, the author confuses "book blurb" with "synopsis of the entire plot", so at least it makes it easy to know what the book contains and so avoid such things.
This one looks especially promising:

NOTE, this is NOT a PC book, if you're happy with the results of the 2020 election, do NOT buy or read this, you won't like it.

The election of 2020 is over, 74 million voted for President Trump, months after the election many believe the election was stolen from the President. Rules changed at the last minute, state legislators changed election laws that broke the states' constitution and the courts closed their eyes.

Some states received hundreds of thousands of ballots back than they mailed out. Then January 6th happened, the media called it an insurrection, they ignored the protester who was killed in cold blood. The same media ignored the summer of riots that left many of America's cities in ruins and thousands of lives financially destroyed. The new administration acted on their first day to overturn Trump's record, they opened the border, canceled pipelines, worked to end the country's energy independence. The new administration passed massive spending bills under the COVID banner while only 9% of the $1.9 trillion bill was targeted on COVID.

The new administration targeted the red states, they outlawed private ownership of guns, they embraced cancel culture, they culled the military of the world's best warfighters because they may have been conservatives and supporters of the original Constitution. They called conservatives domestic terrorists. The red states began fighting back, they began calling themselves sanctuary states for the constitution, they gave the 'finger' to the new administration's executive orders. The tables were set for a civil war, one neither side wanted.

The red states had an ace in the hole, the ex-president set up a PAC to support people who supported him and as a massive surprise, his eldest son, Don. Jr. ran for Congress and won his seat setting him up to follow his father. Don Jr. turned the tables and used the left's tricks against them. The red states are having their revenge.

Two army groups to invade Alaska?

First, that's not how the Soviets called them, they called them Fronts, and second, how? How are you landing this many troops from Siberia into Alaska, with what boats, how can you do that in the face of the US Navy, how are you possibly supporting them logistically and what kind of purpose would you be pursuing in landing there?

I know, I know, I'm thinking more about this than the author is...

Just had this (and several, shall we, say right-wing fantasies by the same author to my bemusement) "recommended" to me by Amazon. I'm almost tempted to spend the $4 to see if it's as dumb as the blurb suggests.

Going from memory, there simply weren't that many bombs in 1945. Mass-producing them was a pipe-dream until a few years later (1950?) and even if FDR/Truman authorised mass expansion of the production facilities, without any certainty the project would even WORK, it would be difficult to produce enough to do as the author suggests. And then there'd be the problem of getting a bomber deep into the USSR...

Back