• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Least favorite alt-history story?

Here's a rather abysmal work of AH I got as a review copy. The author is going to be mad at me but frankly he deserves it.
Fortress Monroe wasn't just a place where Contraband happened it was the place it got invented which makes that even more aggregious.

Here's a rather abysmal work of AH I got as a review copy. The author is going to be mad at me but frankly he deserves it.
This failure to engage the reader is made all the more jarring by Bateman’s prose. I am tempted to call it “workmanlike,” but that would imply a level of training and exactness that the author seems to lack. Commas and apostrophes are in short supply relative to their necessity.
Oof.

I see your wallowing in your millennialism, once again.;)

Mark: “During the Civil War, two states, Kentucky and Virginia, tried different approaches to avoid the conflict between the Union and Confederacy. The former tried neutrality. The latter tried to fight both sides, for some reason. As any student of history knows, both failed miserably.”

Janey: “Well, Mark, the so-called Republic of Virginia’s military did succeed in one regard: the “Bumbling Bushwhacker” stereotype. How Bobby Lee did not see his drafted slaves stabbing him in the back is nothing short of breathtaking.”

I do still enjoy some of the scenarios from the Oneshot Thread, but in retrospect the recurring theme of "ooga booga ebil new states that want to kill everyone because they all subscribe to ideologies that in real life would barely convince a drunk Trotskyite" both gets old real fast and have pretty unfortunate implications, given that the implication seems to be that all revolutions are pure evil and end in doom.

A lot of rvbomally's stuff makes sense when you realise that his vision of the platonic ideal of worldbuilding is Warhammer 40,000.

Does anyone remember vongrief's A Light in the Darkness grimdark dystopian future fantasy timeline? I remember it was very elaborately made, very dismal and depressing, and for some reason his maps really reminded me of rvbomally's similar aesthetics and format.

It was enjoyable if yet another one of those projects that had too many words for me to finish, also again very grimdark and sort of too edgy 4 me, and finally, does that weird AH thing where it tries to shoehorn in the trappings of pre-WWI monarchies (as in "oh, our glorious father the Tsar, chosen of God!" etc. etc.) in what is essentially a 40K on one planet setting.

It has a real weird vibe and makes The Peshawar Lancers or the Paranoia RPG look like bright settings in comparison.

Does anyone remember vongrief's A Light in the Darkness grimdark dystopian future fantasy timeline? I remember it was very elaborately made, very dismal and depressing, and for some reason his maps really reminded me of rvbomally's similar aesthetics and format.

It was enjoyable if yet another one of those projects that had too many words for me to finish, also again very grimdark and sort of too edgy 4 me, and finally, does that weird AH thing where it tries to shoehorn in the trappings of pre-WWI monarchies (as in "oh, our glorious father the Tsar, chosen of God!" etc. etc.) in what is essentially a 40K on one planet setting.

It has a real weird vibe and makes The Peshawar Lancers or the Paranoia RPG look like bright settings in comparison.

“That is the most blatant copyright infringement possible. Worse still, I see no glorious exiled British Empire civilizing the leftover savages. Expect to hear from my lawyers as soon as they return my calls.”

Can't tell if Metal Gear, HOI4, or TNO is to blame, but depictions of historical characters have become very iffy. One story I've read had freakin Rommel as a "reluctant" Nazi in the TNO/Metal Gear crossover-verse who hates slavery and feels helpless against the Nazi institution because he can't do anything significant against it but follow his duty as a soldier.

Also, other thing, but it also had Rommel and freakin Heydrich as mentors to one of the main character's rivals.

When asked about it, the author just said that this isn't the real historical figures anymore, but more hardened and wizened figures.

I have no idea what to say about that.

I try to not be unfair to the author as I don't think he's a crazy wehraboo but just too attached to popular history point of views. His stories just latch onto well known historical figures and their popular depictions instead of digging deeper for more appropriate figures to be a secretly anti-Nazi figure.

Back