• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Least favorite alt-history story?

Skaven

draws thoughtfully on a vape

“That is the most blatant copyright infringement possible. Worse still, I see no glorious exiled British Empire civilizing the leftover savages. Expect to hear from my lawyers as soon as they return my calls.”
There is in fact a secret third faction of techwizards who are extremely heavily implied to be Oxford and Cambridge.

Christian

Can't tell if Metal Gear, HOI4, or TNO is to blame, but depictions of historical characters have become very iffy. One story I've read had freakin Rommel as a "reluctant" Nazi in the TNO/Metal Gear crossover-verse who hates slavery and feels helpless against the Nazi institution because he can't do anything significant against it but follow his duty as a soldier.

Also, other thing, but it also had Rommel and freakin Heydrich as mentors to one of the main character's rivals.

When asked about it, the author just said that this isn't the real historical figures anymore, but more hardened and wizened figures.

I have no idea what to say about that.

Christian

I try to not be unfair to the author as I don't think he's a crazy wehraboo but just too attached to popular history point of views. His stories just latch onto well known historical figures and their popular depictions instead of digging deeper for more appropriate figures to be a secretly anti-Nazi figure.

Hendryk

The sunlit uplands are just around the corner
Published by SLP
Rommel as a reluctant Nazi as described has a long history, and that pernicious myth has a very strong hold over the Wehraboos that infest the genre.
I've also seen Speer being redefined as a voice of moderation in the Third Reich. There was an instance of that at the other place just a couple of days ago.

Kimkatya

NORM DICKS DON BONKER
Patreon supporter
The Place That Hates England More Than The English
Pronouns
she/'er (as in "phwoar, look at the cans on 'er")
Can't tell if Metal Gear, HOI4, or TNO is to blame, but depictions of historical characters have become very iffy. One story I've read had freakin Rommel as a "reluctant" Nazi in the TNO/Metal Gear crossover-verse who hates slavery and feels helpless against the Nazi institution because he can't do anything significant against it but follow his duty as a soldier.

Also, other thing, but it also had Rommel and freakin Heydrich as mentors to one of the main character's rivals.

When asked about it, the author just said that this isn't the real historical figures anymore, but more hardened and wizened figures.

I have no idea what to say about that.
I can say without question that from it's start, everyone on TNO fucking hated Rommel.

Speer? Different story, but I can say that absolutely everyone now on the team all fucking hate Albert Speer

Max Sinister

I've also seen Speer being redefined as a voice of moderation in the Third Reich. There was an instance of that at the other place just a couple of days ago.
Compared to Hitler, Himmler, Heydrich, Höss and the likes? Less bad maybe. But when did he actually put pressure on one of them to prevent them killing Jews or such?

(I'll really have to dig out my notes about that Speer book, it was pretty good.)

Kimkatya

NORM DICKS DON BONKER
Patreon supporter
The Place That Hates England More Than The English
Pronouns
she/'er (as in "phwoar, look at the cans on 'er")
i assume this is mostly because it's generally pretty difficult to run a regime focused on genociding minorities if people higher up in said regime have things like basic human morality and sympathy, and also if you're a dictatorship murdering people is quick, easy and free

ChrisNuttall

i assume this is mostly because it's generally pretty difficult to run a regime focused on genociding minorities if people higher up in said regime have things like basic human morality and sympathy, and also if you're a dictatorship murdering people is quick, easy and free
Pretty much so. Even if you weren't 100% horrible, you'd become horrible because of all the things you'd have to do to rise in the ranks.

Chris

Von Callay

Kept After Class by Mrs. MacBrayne
There's no reason to tolerate or promote people to high rank in a personality focused absolute dictatorship who aren't on board with that personality's program, and the program was so all-encompassing that it was hard to even just be off in a corner doing some little part of it without interacting with the atrocities. Being 'reluctant' in high office in Nazi Germany meant something like you thought Hitler was an ambitious little weasel who didn't know what he was doing, but you'd wanted to blow up Poland and burn down France even before he came along, and once he did you really liked the way he paid off your divorce settlement from that secret government slush fund, so Heil Hitler and fire up the panzers.

Japhy

Published by SLP
Pronouns
She/Her
I'd say so. The hesitant people got got on the Night of the Long Knives or wound up in July 20. Schacht comes closest to those in neither group but I mean, he wasn't particularly reluctant until he started losing.