• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Kings of Venetia and Lombardy

Makemakean

Mr Makemean
Pronouns
Logical, unlike those in German
So, to make a long story short, I kind of need some families to fill the vacant thrones of Venetia and Lombardy after a war of independence from Austria, which would see the two new sovereign Italian states have heads which are neither Habsburgs nor Savoyards nor Bourbons. Any suggestions?

Are we looking to import a foreign royal, or find some local noble?

I honestly don't know what would be considered the most plausible or likely thing to do.

This is Italy that we're talking about, as opposed to Sweden, but when the matter came up in Sweden in the 1740s in the connexion with the House of the Palatinate dying out, though the notion of having some Swedish nobleman of ancient pedigree raised to the throne was very briefly entertained, people eventually decided against it, on the grounds that such an individual would inevitably have long-standing ties and political alliances with other Swedish noble families, be connected with either the Hats or the Caps, and, quite bluntly, know how the system worked all to well, and so it would be much better to start with a clean slate and import some foreigner who was neutral, had limited connexions, and didn't know how to work the system.

But whether Italians in the 1860s would take such an attitude or if they, due to rising nationalism, would prefer someone of their own stock as opposed to importing some German princeling, I really do not know.

But whether Italians in the 1860s would take such an attitude or if they, due to rising nationalism, would prefer someone of their own stock as opposed to importing some German princeling, I really do not know.

It depends on the precise circumstances of the war of independence and the diplomatic alignments and such, but I imagine overthrowing the Habsburgs only to bring in another German would be pretty unappealing? As for other foreign candidates, to get anywhere they'd presumably need to be Catholic, and if the Habsburgs and Bourbons are already off the table...

By the 1860’s though, the male line of the House of Stuart was extinct. The pretense to the English/Scottish/Irish thrones then passed to the Savoyards through Princess Henrietta, Charles II’s and James II’s sister.

By the 1860’s though, the male line of the House of Stuart was extinct. The pretense to the English/Scottish/Irish thrones then passed to the Savoyards through Princess Henrietta, Charles II’s and James II’s sister.

The way to thread that needle is to make it Count Roehenstart, one of his sisters or an ATL sibling, child or nephew somehow.

Back