• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Kindle rankings

At the risk of sounding uncharitable, I can't help but notice that quite a few of the books in the Amazon Alternate History New Releases Chart can only be described as 'Alternate History' by using an extraordinarily liberal interpretation of the term. Asterix and the Griffin? Accidentally Engaged to the Billionaire Book 5? And does Conan-Doyle's The Hound of the Baskervilles really belong in a list of new releases?
This is a longstanding issue. My particular bugbear is the inclusion of the 'Sharpe ' novels as AH
I recall @Jared commenting that "Walking Through Dreams" ended up in something like the Native American Literature chart.

Who are we to argue with an algorithm whose cybernetic brainpower is so awesome that it routinely recommends my own books to me?

At the risk of sounding uncharitable, I can't help but notice that quite a few of the books in the Amazon Alternate History New Releases Chart can only be described as 'Alternate History' by using an extraordinarily liberal interpretation of the term. Asterix and the Griffin? Accidentally Engaged to the Billionaire Book 5? And does Conan-Doyle's The Hound of the Baskervilles really belong in a list of new releases?
This is a longstanding issue. My particular bugbear is the inclusion of the 'Sharpe ' novels as AH
I recall @Jared commenting that "Walking Through Dreams" ended up in something like the Native American Literature chart.

Who are we to argue with an algorithm whose cybernetic brainpower is so awesome that it routinely recommends my own books to me?

My personal favorite example:

My personal favorite example:

Am I alone in feeling that this would be a great opening for a genuine AH novel? This is how we 'in the know' recognise that something has shifted us into an alternate reality, a world so divergent from our own that the CE calendar started 96 years later and the society portrayed in 'The Great Gatsby' is both alternate history and science fiction; perhaps because North America was never settled by Europeans or the Norse are the dominant white race there. For our technology to be pre-1925, suggests a hold up in the industrial revolution (Britain under Spanish rule?) too. So much can be reaped from one book company's screwy algorithm!

Given that Drake's Drum has now dropped out of the chart perhaps someone else would like to take over posting the rankings each day? Perhaps another author with a new release coming up? Red Fuhrer: Revolution is not due to drop out for another week.

Something weird that's going on. DD3 and Ruimtewedloop were released on 28th September, so now are no longer in the new releases chart. Fair enough. But several of the books that are doing well in the chart, seem to have changed their release dates. Has anyone noticed this before?

Could be a new edition?

Back