• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

'JlA: The Nail' Review

The funny thing is, I can actually picture a modern version still playing very straight with the idea of superheroes needing a square-jawed, white, classically 50s man to be the front man to be accepted. It's just it'd be an explicit commentary on society and someone like John Stewart would make a pointed comment about it.

The funny thing is, I can actually picture a modern version still playing very straight with the idea of superheroes needing a square-jawed, white, classically 50s man to be the front man to be accepted. It's just it'd be an explicit commentary on society and someone like John Stewart would make a pointed comment about it.

That does seem a pretty pointed thing you could've got from the old Wildstorm imprint (or Ultimates if it'd been a bit less, uh, Ultimates)

"He's not done anything because he's Amish" is a pretty weird explanation of where he's been. On latest reading, the talk of the powerful super-strong alien seems a planned "is SUPERMAN the threat?" red herring before we're tricked into thinking it's Starro.

JSA Liberty Files had a similar bait and switch but... well it was a lot more effective cause of just how terrifying the idea of Nazi Superman was.
1617292561826.png
Entire set up is "Does the 3rd Reich have a superhuman weapon?" and than before any fight occurs we see this page. It all somewhat seems to fit into the idea that WWII Batman is going to have to fight Nazi Superman. They handled the twist well to me but... man the idea of Hitler controlling Superman seemed like a cool story to try.

Back