• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Japanese Taiwan from 1874

I'd say it'd be unlikely for a few reasons. At around this time Japan was still dealing with a wave of unrest and rebellions that were more or less at their height, and while not quite stretching them thin, it did end up creating enough headaches that most officials didn't feel they could devote the resources to overseas expansion - the punitive expedition was a good way to demonstrate Japanese military muscle without protracted long-term engagements. Effective Japanese control might be limited to just the key ports, given the Taiwanese hinterland is much more substantial and better-suited for native resistance than the Ryukyu Islands. Even then, the lack of a crushing Chinese defeat like the First Sino-Japanese War would probably inspire resistance among the Han settlers, which could make things ugly. I think the island would remain a secondary concern for Japanese colonisation regardless, the priority at the time was settling Hokkaido and Ryukyu.

I concur with Bonnie like the meiji restoration just started, like trying to build up an nation is of the highest priority.

I'd say it'd be unlikely for a few reasons. At around this time Japan was still dealing with a wave of unrest and rebellions that were more or less at their height, and while not quite stretching them thin, it did end up creating enough headaches that most officials didn't feel they could devote the resources to overseas expansion - the punitive expedition was a good way to demonstrate Japanese military muscle without protracted long-term engagements. Effective Japanese control might be limited to just the key ports, given the Taiwanese hinterland is much more substantial and better-suited for native resistance than the Ryukyu Islands. Even then, the lack of a crushing Chinese defeat like the First Sino-Japanese War would probably inspire resistance among the Han settlers, which could make things ugly. I think the island would remain a secondary concern for Japanese colonisation regardless, the priority at the time was settling Hokkaido and Ryukyu.

With another 20 years, though, could Taiwan have become a home island?

No.

Taiwan may have been Japan's 'model colony,' but that's next to Korea. There was extensive resistance right through to the 1930s.

Besides, a Japan that's expanding this fast in the 1870s is a Japan that's overextended and likely to see its empire end earlier than OTL. For one thing, it's clearly a much greater naval threat than it was in OTL, so there'll be less incentive for the Qing to let their expensive new navy rot.

No.

Taiwan may have been Japan's 'model colony,' but that's next to Korea. There was extensive resistance right through to the 1930s.

Besides, a Japan that's expanding this fast in the 1870s is a Japan that's overextended and likely to see its empire end earlier than OTL. For one thing, it's clearly a much greater naval threat than it was in OTL, so there'll be less incentive for the Qing to let their expensive new navy rot.
Many argue that even if the Pacific War had simply not happened, Taiwan would still be part of Japan.
A smaller Japanese Empire would be more durable, IMO.

Imagine being the French military advisor to Japan who's overseeing that operation while France is expanding into the South China Sea in the 1880s.

Broke: A revolution in France sees the government flee to Algeria in a KMT analogue.

Woke: Japanese democracy almost crumbles in the 1950s after they try to hold on to Japanese Formosa.

So the consensus seems to be if Japan did do this, they'd be biting off far more than they can chew at this point in time and will choke on it? That seems good for China in the medium term, not looking as worn out as in OTL and having enough of a scare to make changes to fight off the inevitable next attack?

Broke: A revolution in France sees the government flee to Algeria in a KMT analogue.

Woke: Japanese democracy almost crumbles in the 1950s after they try to hold on to Japanese Formosa.

[buys this SLP]

I've long wanted to do an Irish War of Independence in the 1950s that's akin to the Algerian War but this is a fascinating concept.

No.

Is this a TL that, paradoxically, sees Japan's growth limited, with an expensive Taiwan keeping Japan out of continental Asia?

Could be.

The Meiji era was an time of undeniable progress, but I think that people often mistake Chinese (and to an extent Korean) weakness for Japanese strength; Japan was always weaker and poorer than its amazing achievements indicated.

Until the S-J war, most outside observers thought that the Qing were reforming successfully and making plans accordingly. It would not have taken that much for the Japanese to move too fast for their resources, throw too much into expansion in Taiwan too early, consequently get pulled into Korea many years before their comparative military advantages had developed and then find themselves confined to the Home Islands and Taiwan.

No.

If they were this overextended early on though, would they have still been able to expand further, into mainland Qing China or against Imperial Russia? Or would they have been likelier to lose either of these conflicts, limiting them from further expansion and perhaps leading to their loss/failure to acquire other regions which became Japanese later on IOTL (e.g, no Sakhalin, Kuril Islands, and/or potentially even Hokkaido)?

Good question.

I think that they will definitely take a swing at Korea. Now, they won't necessarily try and colonise it- but it was seen as being vitally important that the 'dagger pointed at the heart of Japan' was at least not in the sphere of a hostile power. So I definitely think that OTL's policy of backing the reformists would happen.

The thing is, the faster your move up the schedule in Taiwan, the more pressure there is for Japan to intervene more directly in Korea, which will be unpopular with both sides.

You might have an interesting scenario where Japan gets its fingers burnt in the peninsular- I would take the Qing armies of the 1870s over the Japanese in terms of leadership and doctrine, though equipment would be a problem. That in turn would be a fillip to the Self-Strengthening Movement, and probably incentivise Cixi to favour that faction over the ultra-traditionalists.

If the threat of Japan has apparently been dealt with, you can imagine the Qing not being as threatened by Korean reformists in the 1880s- so long as they continue to pay lip service to the court in Beijing.

The northern islands, on the other hand, probably go uncontested barring a collapse of the Tsarists. Without a Japanese presence in Manchuria and Korea, I don't think there's enough tension to cause a war, and neither side really cares enough about the Kurils or even Sakhalin for it to be a casus belli in itself.

If they were this overextended early on though, would they have still been able to expand further, into mainland Qing China or against Imperial Russia? Or would they have been likelier to lose either of these conflicts, limiting them from further expansion and perhaps leading to their loss/failure to acquire other regions which became Japanese later on IOTL (e.g, no Sakhalin, Kuril Islands, and/or potentially even Hokkaido)?

By that point, the Japanese hold on Hokkaido was secure. Russia never claimed the Southern Kuriles. In our timeline, Japan dropped its claim on Sakhalin in exchange for Russia giving up the Central and Northern Kuriles.

Back