• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

How Can You Get A Longer Lasting Electoral Successful Communist Party Of Great Britain?

Time Enough

"Enthusiastic Cis Male Partner"
Published by SLP
Pronouns
He/Him
So this is an idea that’s been bandied about every so often but how can you get a CPGB that is able to sustain itself electorally for longer (excluding the there two councillors they had in the latter half of the 20th Century).

So this is to say, having the CPGB having maybe a couple of MPs and a substantial number of Councillors up until the 1990s.

So this is an idea that’s been bandied about every so often but how can you get a CPGB that is able to sustain itself electorally for longer (excluding the there two councillors they had in the latter half of the 20th Century).

So this is to say, having the CPGB having maybe a couple of MPs and a substantial number of Councillors up until the 1990s.
Sneaky but boring answer is have STV pass at some point interwar, I guess.

Sneaky but boring answer is have STV pass at some point interwar, I guess.
Something, something No National Government something something Lab-Lib coalition etc.

But anyway, let’s think properly here, like the CPGB managed to get two MPs into Parliament in 45’ I’m sure if they had tried enough on a local level then those MPs could have stayed around or something...

Honestly its either 'massively undermine the labour party' (in duffling, I went with a worse split over the great war for this) or 'the cpgb effectively affiliates to the Labour party'
A Post-War split is intriguing, and would probably lead to some of the ‘out there choices’ staying (Labour lead by John Beckett for chaos points). Probably see a ILP-CPGB alliance or something similar.

As for the affliction, I have considered Labour doing that, but eventually backing away in the Late 20s but by that point there’s another CPGB/ILP affiliated members that it gets messy fast.

If you look at those Communist parties in the West that have been most electorally successful in the second half of the twentieth century, you'll find that they, them being the Japanese and the Italian, were notable in that they were very early on able to establish themselves as independent of Moscow and Beijing.

My guess is as to why this helped is actually not entirely due to the fact that close allegiance to whatever the party line in the Soviet Union happened to be would inevitably give off airs of them being fifth columnists (though this certainly didn't help), and that their commitment to now broadly established democratic institutions was paper-thin if even that (though this certainly didn't help either), but rather that it made such a Communist Party appear... not particularly serious.

Made them appear more like they were LARPing with their Central Committees and Politburos and General Secretariats than that they seriously cared about improving conditions in the countries in which they were operating.

Consequently, even with a change in the electoral system, you are likely going to need more than that for the CPGB to approach anything resembling electoral success. And more than that may very well be as much as you having to make the CPGB adopt policies, strategies, priorities, and public relations that would, for all intents and purposes, make it a completely different party from what the CPGB was.

@Makemakean makemakes a good point.
I seem to recall a joke that the highest ambition for activists of most Western communist parties was...to be invited to Moscow.

The joke in Sweden was that the leader of the Swedish Communist Party could be seen on sunny days, when there wasn’t a cloud in the sky, walking around in sturdy rubber boots and carrying an umbrella, on account of that it happened to be raining in Moscow that day.

Honestly its either 'massively undermine the labour party' (in duffling, I went with a worse split over the great war for this) or 'the cpgb effectively affiliates to the Labour party'

Echoing this. It really is a case of getting the CP to affiliate, as Lenin suggested. Could be not totally politically toxic if achieved in the interwar years and is basically forgotten about by 45 and you just have a few Labour-Communist MPs or something whcih carries on to this day. How the factional issues of the later CP could have played out while still attached to Labour would be pretty fascinating.

Even if you cheat a bit and have Democratic Left affiliate to Labour under Kinnock/Blair it'd still be too much of a field day for the media for the leadership to allow imo.

Echoing this. It really is a case of getting the CP to affiliate, as Lenin suggested. Could be not totally politically toxic if achieved in the interwar years and is basically forgotten about by 45 and you just have a few Labour-Communist MPs or something whcih carries on to this day. How the factional issues of the later CP could have played out while still attached to Labour would be pretty fascinating.

Even if you cheat a bit and have Democratic Left affiliate to Labour under Kinnock/Blair it'd still be too much of a field day for the media for the leadership to allow imo.

You'd have some issues if Stalin still succeeds Lenin as IOTL, and the Third Period demands that communists separate themselves from social fascists

You'd have some issues if Stalin still succeeds Lenin as IOTL, and the Third Period demands that communists separate themselves from social fascists

Certainly. Perhaps the best bet is obviously popular front taking off (which you know a lot more about) or the consequences of an invaded and eventually liberated UK. But that's so many other big butterflies to worry about that it kind of detracts from the original question.

Back