• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Has anyone read Jo Walton's Small Change trilogy?

Hendryk

Taken back control yet?
Published by SLP
Farthing, Ha'Penny and Half a Crown are a series of novels set in an ATL where Britain didn't receive assistance from a more isolationist US, made peace with Nazi Germany in 1941, and by the late 1940s is sliding into its own brand of fascism. This seems to me a more interesting concept than the "Britain under German occupation" of SS-GB and the like. Has anyone here read it?

Yes, when they first came out.

I generally enjoy Jo Walton's books, and these are indeed quite amusing, if not terribly uplifting (even where the endings are sort-of-happy for the protagonist, the world is not a happy place). I thought many of the details of her Britain were a bit derivative (e.g. I seem to recall there is a secret police type organisation called the Iron Guard [edit: I mis-remembered: it was "The Watch", but my point stands] at some point: which doesn't feel like a particularly British name for such a thing.), and I seem to remember getting irritated with one of the characters going of to "caucus" with the rest of his party in parliament, or some other such term which struck me as an americanism at the time.

Not terribly exciting as AH goes, but quite readable.

Walton's Tooth and Claw was much more amusing, I thought.

Back