• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Grover Cleveland Hates Kansas

SpudNutimus

I make maps and things.
Pronouns
he/him
So I've just had the stupidest idea for a minor one-off timeline. You know Beaver County, Kansas and how it dangles down slightly from the rest of the state? Apparently it was its own separate territory called the "Public Land Strip" for like 50 years, was south of the Kansas-Nebraska Act boundary but north of the Missouri Compromise line and no one could figure out what to do with it until 1886 when they attached it to Kansas because they were sick of the squatters there. What if, hear me out, the bill to attach it to Kansas failed and it eventually just got stuck to Oklahoma and it ended up with this stupid ass panhandle all the way to New Mexico?

...Why would that happen? The attachment bill had broad support and easily passed both the House and Senate, what motivation would anyone have to keep this stupid legal anomaly full of squatters around for long enough to give it to Oklahoma of all places? Unless Grover Cleveland inexplicably develops some megalomaniacal hatred for the state of Kansas big enough to veto the bill then I don't see it happening. Besides, even if that did happen it'd probably just go back to Texas anyway, it's not like the Missouri Compromise line was still in effect by 1886.

Back