• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Federal New Zealand

No, those were never separate administrative units. The actual administrative units- the provinces- were abolished as the colony was far too small to run as a federal system.

The only proposal to ever separate the South Island and the North Island was aimed at making them entirely different governments; they are vastly more likely to end up either reunifying as a single colony or both joining an Australian Federation than co-existing as a single federal unit.

No, those were never separate administrative units. The actual administrative units- the provinces- were abolished as the colony was far too small to run as a federal system.

The only proposal to ever separate the South Island and the North Island was aimed at making them entirely different governments; they are vastly more likely to end up either reunifying as a single colony or both joining an Australian Federation than co-existing as a single federal unit.

Thanks.

There wasn't really a strong island identity either, at least contrasted to the provincial identities of the time. Probably still isn't today, although perhaps more so than then. I do identify as a South Islander, though, but it is pretty low level compared to other self identifications I hold.

I think that the best way to have New Zealand be a federal state would be to have it be initially a collection of separate colonies. One good way to do that would be to have New Zealand be settled.by different colonial powers only to be later brought together in a single rule. France, Spain, perhaps even Portugal might be good candidates.

Another possibility might be to have Maori polities survive as constituent units, to make New Zealand a patchwork of territories under direct and indirect colonial rule.

Back