• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Extremely minor "signature" tropes you enjoy?

SpudNutimus

I make maps and things.
Pronouns
he/him
What are some extremely minor, secondary to any given timeline tropes that you like to throw into a given world just because you enjoy them rather than any particular relation to the timeline? Almost a small signature that you like to leave in a given world that doesn't actually affect very much but that shows you were there. I'll start with three of mine:

1. Miami doesn't become a major city via beach resorts in the early 20th century, and rather than becoming weirdly well-developed southern Florida just remains a sparsely populated swamp with not much in it, the largest cities in the state remaining in the Panhandle and the Jacksonville area while the major beach resorts spring up along the rest of the Gulf Coast in places like Panama Beach and Gulf Shores.

2. The easternmost strip of land in Idaho Territory and Utah Territory (visible in the attached image) is never transferred to Wyoming Territory upon its separation from Dakota Territory, leaving Wyoming slightly irregularly shaped rather than perfectly rectangular, the Tetons and a larger portion of Yellowstone in Idaho, and Evanston in Utah.

3. In any timeline without a divided North Dakota and South Dakota, I'll also leave that tiny piece of Dakota Territory north of the Keya Paha River (also visible in the attached image) which was eventually returned to Nebraska in real life with Dakota upon statehood.

DakotaTerritory (1).png

I was somewhat surprised recently to realise that in three different works set in the Old World, I'd put in an off handed reference to Barbary Corsairs operating out of bases in the New World, something that never happened in OTL.

Another one I like to use in any timeline with much more major trans-Pacific immigration to the United States, particularly without a Chinese Exclusion Act:

The major Pacific port which gradually replaces San Francisco over the course of the 20th century isn't in Oakland, but in the Vallejo, Antioch, or Rio Vista area as large amounts of immigrants are processed there before moving into the Central Valley via the Sacramento and San Joaquin rivers.

Back