• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Max's election maps and assorted others

That varies hugely. Anything from a few hours to a week or two, depending on whether I have ready access to data (both voting and geographical data) or need to make a spreadsheet, whether I have a base already drawn that I can just colour in or whether I have to draw a whole new one, and of course, how many different things there are to fill in.
How do you get these maps made?

Also, have you and/or any other people here ever considered posting your maps onto Wikipedia? It seems like Wikipedia could really benefit from having some of your maps be uploaded to it. I think that you might even be able to preserve your copyright to these maps if you really want to.

I mean, I assume it would be flerhet. Which also doesn't sound right, but I think it sounds less wrong.

The term that was used back when Sweden had FPTP was flertal, which is decidedly a very good term to use, because etymologically, it is not borrowed from Latin, it is short and concise, and best of all, it unambiguously means plurality, as opposed to majority.

The term that was used back when Sweden had FPTP was flertal, which is decidedly a very good term to use, because etymologically, it is not borrowed from Latin, it is short and concise, and best of all, it unambiguously means plurality, as opposed to majority.
Yes, I think that is the word for "plurality" we ought to use all the time - saying "relative majority" is too potentially confusing.

Baden-Württemberg 2016
The electoral system of Baden-Württemberg looks a bit different from those of most German states, and resembles the system used for the Bundestag in 1949 more than anything. The voter gets a single vote, given to a candidate in their constituency. In each constituency the election works on simple plurality, after which the votes are tallied statewide combining all candidates put up by each party. A proportional calculation is made for 120 seats, and if a party has gotten more constituency seats than they would be entitled to, the size of the Landtag is increased until proportionality is achieved (since 2013, this is how it works for the Bundestag as well).

The seats given out proportionally, however, are not distributed according to any party list. Instead, they are given out to those constituency candidates who got the best percentage results without winning their seats. These candidates are declared elected for their constituencies as well, obtaining what is called a Zweitmandat, or second mandate, in the constituency. There's no system for distributing these evenly between constituencies, so a given constituency may have one, two or three representatives purely depending on the statewide results - generally, more closely-contested constituencies will more likely get Zweitmandate, but there's no hard and fast rule.

The 2016 election was somewhat historic - in 2011, the CDU, in power since 1953 with one brief exception, was defeated amidst debate over the hugely-controversial Stuttgart 21 transport project. The Greens reaped most of the benefits, and a coalition was formed between the Greens and SPD under Green leader Winfried Kretschmann. This proved somewhat popular, and Kretschmann in particular established himself as a Prime Minister with strong centrist to centre-left appeal. In 2016, this incumbency paid dividends, and Kretschmann won the Greens their first-ever plurality on the state level. The SPD collapsed utterly, falling behind the AfD (which picked up traditionally-SPD working-class voters in industrial cities like Mannheim and Pforzheim), and Kretschmann reformed his government as a "grand coalition" of sorts with the CDU.

val-de-bw-2016.png

Just a thought, @Ares96 , but have you considered a popular vote pie chart and/or total popular vote sub-map to your PR maps? Not pressuring you to change your format, it's just in this case it wasn't immediately apparent to me that the Greens had topped the polls from looking at the map and parliamentary little mans.

Just a thought, @Ares96 , but have you considered a popular vote pie chart and/or total popular vote sub-map to your PR maps? Not pressuring you to change your format, it's just in this case it wasn't immediately apparent to me that the Greens had topped the polls from looking at the map and parliamentary little mans.
I experimented with it a couple of years ago, but I always find circles and sections of circles very messy to draw. I do agree that it’s a data point I’ve been ignoring which might be useful to understand the map.

I believe this is the first election map I've ever properly done from scratch.

d8iwrZy.png

Last edited:
Back