• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Max's election maps and assorted others

Karnataka 2013
Posting this hereabouts. For the writeup see the DA - thanks to @rmanoj for looking it over.

karnataka_legislative_assembly_election__2013_by_ajrelectionmaps-dcbhaaz.png

Well, as if I wasn't already doing enough various shit, I've started work on yet another, even bigger basemap of Swedish municipalities. This time the pre-reform ones, which should serve a number of purposes as they continued to serve as basic divisions for things like Church of Sweden parishes and polling districts even after their abolition as local government units in 1952.

kommuner-1917-stor.png

I think it's abundantly clear that a) this is going to be an enormous map, and b) there wouldn't have been any way to make it significantly smaller than this without adding some gratuitous insets.

Madhya Pradesh 2013
It's done. I said it'd be dull as phuck, and I think we can all agree I was right.

val-in-madhyapradesh-2013.png

The incumbent chief minister has been sitting since 2005. His predecessor was also from the BJP.

Next up is Gujarat, just to really grind the orange shades down.

Last edited:
"move up into the hindi belt next", they said

Read that as the "Hindu Belt" and went "They missed an obvious opportunity to name it the Veda Belt or the Baghavad Gita Belt?" but, no it turns out to be about language, not religion.

Yes, I know that, but my initial thought was that this was a region that was known for being particularly doctrinaire.
Ask ten Hindus what "being particularly doctrinaire" means and you'll get ten different answers. I think communal conflicts (for some reason India uses the word "communal" rather than "sectarian") are common all over, but @rmanoj would probably know better than me.

Ask ten Hindus what "being particularly doctrinaire" means and you'll get ten different answers. I think communal conflicts (for some reason India uses the word "communal" rather than "sectarian") are common all over, but @rmanoj would probably know better than me.
Doesn't 'sectarian' generally imply conflict between groups who belong to the same broader religion? 'Communal' in India usually refers to inter-religious conflict. Hindus are commonly referred to as 'the majority community' and Muslims as 'the minority community' (reversed when you talk about Kashmir, Pakistan or Bangladesh).
Sectarian conflict between Hindu groups doesn't really come up much―it's mostly caste-based.
Most Hindus aren't members of organised sects―they practice what I would call general village Hinduism, based on the traditions of their family, village, caste etc and don't make much of a fuss about theology.
Communal and caste-based conflicts are indeed common all over India.

Most Hindus aren't members of organised sects―they practice what I would call general village Hinduism, based on the traditions of their family, village, caste etc and don't make much of a fuss about theology.
I suppose it ties in with it being a traditional folk religion rather than an evangelising one. The only other one I can think of that still exists today is Shinto, and that's similar in nature AIUI.

Gujarat 2017
Next up is Gujarat, just to really grind the orange shades down.
It turned out to be slightly (slightly) more interesting than that - I would imagine mainly because Modi wasn't a CM candidate the last time around. Gujarat seems to be a swing state except when he's around, because the BJP won crushing majorities throughout his leadership and then every single Lok Sabha seat in 2014.

val-in-gujarat-2017.png

Heh, I would have expected Gujarat to be "ambar orange" (ruby red for orange), the INC did surprisingly well there considering the state and its overall poor performance in recent Indian state elections.

It turned out to be slightly (slightly) more interesting than that - I would imagine mainly because Modi wasn't a CM candidate the last time around. Gujarat seems to be a swing state except when he's around, because the BJP won crushing majorities throughout his leadership and then every single Lok Sabha seat in 2014.

View attachment 2053
The Rann of Kutch now makes me want to imagine an alternate election map of Lincolnshire with similar non-voting areas because the fens were never drained in TTL. @Mumby

Axholme_bef_1626.jpg

The Rann of Kutch now makes me want to imagine an alternate election map of Lincolnshire with similar non-voting areas because the fens were never drained in TTL. @Mumby

Axholme_bef_1626.jpg

ooooo

I did make a start on a story set in an alternate world where we lost WW1, and it featured an attempted German landing on the East Coast, which led to us reflooding the Fens in a panic. Post-war Britain loses a lot of colonies and has to pay big reparations to Germany (who desperately needs that cash, much more than we did OTL) so we can't afford to put it right.

Back