• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Max's election maps and assorted others

"The Sami Referendum Party was founded by Sir James Goldsami in 1993, and-..."

Actually, the fact that we have so many different Sami parties is interesting in and of itself. I can only assume that seeing the ordinary Norwegian parliamentary parties run for the Norwegian Sami elections, here in Sweden we're looking at the same situation as when it comes to the Church elections, or a Northern Ireland-style situation. The parties don't technically run in the elections, but they all have their respective proxy parties...?

"The Sami Referendum Party was founded by Sir James Goldsami in 1993, and-..."

Actually, the fact that we have so many different Sami parties is interesting in and of itself. I can only assume that seeing the ordinary Norwegian parliamentary parties run for the Norwegian Sami elections, here in Sweden we're looking at the same situation as when it comes to the Church elections, or a Northern Ireland-style situation. The parties don't technically run in the elections, but they all have their respective proxy parties...?
Nope. All the parties in Swedish Sami elections are local to that system, and none of the main parties exist on that level.

We have to remember that it's not actually a territorial authority, or even a body of cultural autonomy like the Norwegian one - it basically just exists to move a pot of money around and make us look like we're respecting their right to self-determination.

These were indirect elections, so there's very little point in majority shading.

Indeed. Though I won't lie, I still find it truly incredible that we managed to find all the tallies of those elections back when we were doing the big basemap. I would not have expected that information to have been put on the internet.

I also would like to add that I like the fact that Højre is winning not just in Christiania but also in the cities on the coast, Bergen and Trondheim.

I also would like to add that I like the fact that Højre is winning not just in Christiania but also in the cities on the coast, Bergen and Trondheim.
Trondheim would continue to be a stronghold for them into the 1930s, and Bergen still is to this day (although it voted Labour in the period where the entire country voted Labour).

Yep. Specifically, the second one, which was a narrow "No" result overall. Even so, you can really tell where the bible belt is in the south-west - some of those parishes in Rogaland voted more than 90% in favour.

Weird that opposition to alcohol prohibition seems to be located in, those areas where Høyre were strong in the late 19th century. Did I accidentally do something thoroughly appropriate by making Sønderheim very pro-prohibition?

Weird that opposition to alcohol prohibition seems to be located in, those areas where Høyre were strong in the late 19th century. Did I accidentally do something thoroughly appropriate by making Sønderheim very pro-prohibition?
I mean, are you actually surprised that teetotal morally conservative low-churchmen would support prohibition?

I mean, are you actually surprised that teetotal morally conservative low-churchmen would support prohibition?

That I'm not surprised with. But that most in Venstre, in some regions, actually the overwhelming majority, actually were teetotal morally conservative low-churchmen, that surprises me.

We all know that in the early 20th century, the overwhelming majority of Methodists in England voted Liberal. That's unsurprising. If it actually turned out that the overwhelming majority of Liberals also were Methodists, that would surprise me.

That I'm not surprised with. But that most in Venstre, in some regions, actually the overwhelming majority, actually were teetotal morally conservative low-churchmen, that surprises me.

We all know that in the early 20th century, the overwhelming majority of Methodists in England voted Liberal. That's unsurprising. If it actually turned out that the overwhelming majority of Liberals also were Methodists, that would surprise me.
Wouldn't be surprised if they were in Wales. @Alex Richards

Wouldn't be surprised if they were in Wales. @Alex Richards

Pretty much. There was a definite class distinction between the 'Church' people, who were upper class and voted Tory, and the 'Chapel' people who were lower class and tended Liberal.

There's some fascinating parallels actually. Pretty much everything was closed on Sundays until remarkably late- it wasn't until referenda in 1950 and 1952 respectively that cinemas were allowed to open on Sundays in Swansea and Cardiff.

And the county-by-county referenda from 1961 on Sunday opening are a fascinatng guide to the decline of methodism. Annoyingly I've never been able to find the actual figures, though 7 years later Pembrokeshire, Montgomeryshire and Denbighshire voted to allow it leaving just the 5 Welsh-majority counties Dry.

Back