• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Max's election maps and assorted others

As I predicted, adding bits of Ireland makes things look less good than they did previously.

val-uk-1885.png

As a sidenote, the 1884 franchise extension seems to have just killed the Irish Liberals stone dead. Yes, the Home Rule party started the process in the 1870s, when the secret ballot was introduced, but even then they were competitive in Ulster and in some areas where they had a significant network. In this election - well, I'm not sure I've spotted a single Liberal candidate so far.

Last edited:
Great work.

I think it might be worth having a separate colour scale for Lib-Lab, maybe just a redder orange? Assuming that stands out enough to be meaningful.
It is literally just the Rhondda at this point, but that might be useful later on - I'm also mulling over whether to use the INC turquoise for the Liberal Unionists or just make them all blue with asterisks.

It is literally just the Rhondda at this point, but that might be useful later on - I'm also mulling over whether to use the INC turquoise for the Liberal Unionists or just make them all blue with asterisks.
I think turquoise would be a sensible choice, in terms of differentiating them from the normal Tories.

I would definitely use a different colour for Liberal Unionists - when I was considering mapping this period, I was debating between teal/turquoise or perhaps the blue-purple colour we use for the UUP.

I would definitely use a different colour for Liberal Unionists - when I was considering mapping this period, I was debating between teal/turquoise or perhaps the blue-purple colour we use for the UUP.
The thing is, they and the Conservatives never stood candidates against one another, did they? My general rule is that parties that don't compete should get the same colour. OTOH, there were a large number of Liberal Unionists and asterisks would just look odd.

The thing is, they and the Conservatives never stood candidates against one another, did they? My general rule is that parties that don't compete should get the same colour. OTOH, there were a large number of Liberal Unionists and asterisks would just look odd.
I think it's important in this case for showing the transition from 1885 to 1886 because it helps highlight which former Liberals carried a personal vote and so on. Another factor is the number of places (like Birmingham and much of Scotland) which were firmly 'not Tory, but Liberal Unionist'--and this was actually an important distinction for the political evolution of the country, it's what made the Tory-led side actually electable for the first time in Scotland and Wales since 1832.

I prefer distinguishing them where possible anyway - while these were winner-only maps so it's easier than having scales, I used separate colours for Conservative and National Liberal up until the formal merger, and same for Labour and Co-operative.

I think it's important in this case for showing the transition from 1885 to 1886 because it helps highlight which former Liberals carried a personal vote and so on. Another factor is the number of places (like Birmingham and much of Scotland) which were firmly 'not Tory, but Liberal Unionist'--and this was actually an important distinction for the political evolution of the country, it's what made the Tory-led side actually electable for the first time in Scotland and Wales since 1832.
That's a fair point.

I think it's worth having them a separate colour; I believe it was Ian Cawood who argued quite well in his history The Liberal Unionist Party: A History, that until 1895 they were very much a separate political entity to the Tories, with it being only when they entered coalition in '95 that they simply became Tories with a fancy name.

Looking at this list, it looks like there should also be Morpeth, North West Norfolk, Birmingham Bordesley, Mid Durham, Haggerston, Stepney, Wansbeck, Bethnal Green North East, West Ham South, Normanton and Houghton-le-Spring.

It's even worse in Spanish, because (@Nanwe will correct me if I'm wrong) "frente" also means forehead.

You're not wrong per se. But forehead it's "la frente", the front or the forefront is "el frente". You came across one of the few cases when this happens in Spanish. 😅

Back