• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Death of Dixie (Graphics Dump)

SpudNutimus

I make maps and things.
Pronouns
he/him
So a while back I attempted to start a timeline here called Death of Dixie, in which the Confederacy wins the American Civil War and becomes an independent nation but then utterly collapses within the next two decades (a scenario which has admittedly been done before but which I wanted to try my own hand at). I lost interest shortly afterwards and the thread died, but then over time I picked it back up again as a series of maps and lists and have since then gradually expanded upon it, posting bits and pieces of it here and there as well as keeping a catalogue of it on my DeviantArt. Well, I've finally gotten back to a point where I think it deserves a standalone thread, so here ya go. Note that this won't really be structured as a full timeline, just an anthology of maps, graphics, and lists posted whenever I feel like it, because ultimately I'm doing this at my own leisure. Anyhow, I'll post the completed works I've done for it so far now and then answer any questions until I finish the next part (which I am currently working on).

Governments of the C.S.A.

Presidents and Congresses of the Confederate States of America

On February 8, 1861, the Confederate States of America was established via the Montgomery Convention between the slave states of Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, and South Carolina after they declared secession from the United States of America in protest of the election of anti-slavery President Abraham Lincoln the previous year. Over the following months the states of Arkansas, North Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Virginia also declared secession from the United States and joined the Confederacy. Most Native American tribes in the Indian Territory also signed treaties of friendship with the Confederacy during this period. The United States did not initially recognize the Confederacy and attempted to militarily recapture it during the 1861-1863 War of Secession but was ultimately forced to recognize its independence under foreign pressure following a series of military defeats. On February 9, 1863, the United States made formal peace with the Confederacy via the British-mediated Treaty of London. The states of Kentucky and Missouri were also claimed by the Confederacy and represented in its Congress during the War of Secession but were never de facto controlled by the Confederacy and were retroceded to the United States in the Treaty of London, alongside the western counties of Virginia as the new state of West Virginia. The Confederacy also claimed parts of the New Mexico Territory (later divided between the New Mexico Territory and the unrelated United States Arizona Territory) as the Confederate Arizona Territory during the War of Secession but retroceded it to the United States in the Treaty of London.

NOTE: Due to the de jure nonpartisan nature of the Confederacy its political officers did not carry official party affiliations. Despite this the Confederacy became de facto divided between two major political factions over time, eventually resulting in the Confederate Civil War. These factions are most often referred to as "Centralists" and "anti-Centralists" in retrospect but were known by a variety of names in their original time depending on context. For this list the names "pro-administration" and "anti-administration" are used for these factions during the War of Secession and Jefferson Davis administration then "Centralist" and "anti-Centralist" afterwards.

Provisional Government of the Confederate States of America (1861-1862)

1861-1862: Provisional President Jefferson Davis (pro-administration, Mississippi) / Acting Vice President Alexander H. Stephens (anti-administration, Georgia)
(1861 def. Senator Robert Toombs (anti-administration, Georgia) via convention)
  • 1861-1862 Provisional Congress
    • (Unicameral): pro-administration majority
On February 22, 1862, the Provisional Constitution of the Confederate States was superseded by the permanent Constitution of the Confederate States which was ratified the previous year.

Confederate States of America (1862-1881)

1862-1868: President Jefferson Davis (pro-administration, Mississippi) / Vice President Alexander H. Stephens (anti-administration, Georgia)
(1861 unopposed)
  • 1862-1864 Congress
    • Senate: pro-administration majority
    • House: pro-administration majority
  • 1864-1866 Congress
    • Senate: pro-administration majority
    • House: pro-administration majority
  • 1866-1868 Congress
    • Senate: anti-administration majority
    • House: anti-administration majority
1868-1874: President Joseph E. Brown (anti-Centralist, Georgia) / Vice President Robert M. T. Hunter (anti-Centralist, Virginia)
(1867 def. Speaker of the House Thomas S. Bocock (Centralist, Virginia) / Senator Clement C. Clay Jr. (Centralist, Alabama))
  • 1868-1870 Congress
    • Senate: anti-Centralist majority
    • House: anti-Centralist majority
  • 1870-1872 Congress
  • 1872-1874 Congress
    • House: Centralist majority
1874-1880: President Clement C. Clay Jr. (Centralist, Alabama) / Vice President Zebulon B. Vance (Centralist, North Carolina)
(1873 def. Vice President Robert M. T. Hunter (anti-Centralist, Virginia) / Senator Robert W. Barnwell (anti-Centralist, South Carolina))
  • 1874-1876 Congress
    • Senate: Centralist majority
  • 1876-1878 Congress
  • 1878-1880 Congress
1880-1884: President Wade Hampton III (Centralist, South Carolina) / Vice President James L. Kemper (Centralist, Virginia)
(1879 def. Governor John McEnery (anti-Centralist, Louisiana) / Senator Isham G. Harris (anti-Centralist, Tennessee))
  • 1880-1882 Congress
    • Senate: anti-Centralist majority elected, Centralist majority following the 1881 resignation of most anti-Centralist senators in favor of the Atlanta Convention
    • House: anti-Centralist majority elected, Centralist majority following the 1881 resignation of most anti-Centralist representatives in favor of the Atlanta Convention
Following the Depression of 1880-1881 and the Black Spring of 1881 President Wade Hampton III issued the Electoral Security Resolution on April 22, 1881, which declared that the midterm elections of 1881 would not be held as scheduled and instead be delayed until “civic order may be completely restored in the Confederate States” and that Congress would then be recessed after the scheduled end of the 1880-1882 congressional term. The state governments of Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, and South Carolina subsequently declared this action legally invalid, began an interstate convention in Atlanta, Georgia, and then issued the Atlanta Declaration on May 9, 1881, which declared that the Electoral Security Resolution must be rescinded before the scheduled end of the midterm elections on November 6, 1881, or else they would begin an armed rebellion. The state government of Texas also issued a resolution which declared that it would enforce a policy of “armed neutrality” in any interstate conflict until the “legitimate government of the Confederate States may be ascertained” on June 3, 1881. Most counties in southern and central Florida disregarded the state government’s adherence to the Atlanta Declaration and formed a rival state government based in Tampa. In the following weeks most anti-Centralist Confederate government officers resigned and declared loyalty to the Atlanta Convention. Following the passage of the midterm elections’ scheduled end date armed conflict began between the existing Confederate government, retrospectively referred to as the “Richmond Government”, and the Atlanta Convention, retrospectively referred to as the “Atlanta Government”.

Richmond Government of the Confederate States of America (1881-1884)

1880-1884: President Wade Hampton III (Centralist, South Carolina) / Vice President James L. Kemper (Centralist, Virginia)
(1879 def. Governor John McEnery (anti-Centralist, Louisiana) / Senator Isham G. Harris (anti-Centralist, Tennessee))
  • 1880-1882 Congress
    • Senate: anti-Centralist majority elected, Centralist majority following the 1881 resignation of most anti-Centralist senators in favor of the Atlanta Convention
    • House: anti-Centralist majority elected, Centralist majority following the 1881 resignation of most anti-Centralist representatives in favor of the Atlanta Convention
  • (Indefinitely recessed following the expiration of the 1880-1882 congressional term)
On July 15, 1884, the Richmond Government of the Confederate States of America was dissolved following the Confederate Instrument of Surrender at Raleigh and its remaining legal and financial obligations were assumed by the United States of America, which subsequently reorganized much of the Upper South into a series of federally controlled military districts. These military districts were eventually divided and readmitted to the United States as states.

Atlanta Government of the Confederate States of America (1881-1885)

1881-1885: Provisional President John McEnery (anti-Centralist, Louisiana) / Acting Vice President Benjamin R. Tillman Jr. (anti-Centralist, South Carolina)
(1881 def. Senator Isham G. Harris (anti-Centralist, Tennessee) via convention)
  • 1881-1885 Provisional Congress
On April 5, 1885, the city of Atlanta, Georgia and its defenders surrendered to the United States Army, which arrested most Atlanta Government political officers including Acting Vice President Benjamin R. Tillman Jr., after Provisional President John McEnery was mistakenly killed by friendly soldiers while attempting to flee the city. At this point the Atlanta Government of the Confederate States of America effectively ceased to exist and this date is generally regarded as the end of the Confederacy’s existence for historical purposes, but major armed groups claiming to represent the Confederate government continued to operate in the former Confederacy until late 1890. Following the dissolution of the Confederacy most of its former territory was divided between the United States of America and the Free Republic of Libertalia, an abolitionist state in the Deep South created by former slaves who revolted against the Confederacy during the Confederate Civil War. Numerous smaller states also came to exist on the fringes of the former Confederacy through various means during this period.

The South, 1892
The South, 1892

dfb3n9g-ca636612-f2d7-49d7-8d6f-ffd767cc28ee.jpg

Base map courtesy of Adam and Charles Black.

Last edited:
Back