• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

CTTeller's White Space

98% AI generated.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

John Major has made a spectacular return to frontline politics, announcing his defection to the Liberal Democrats.

In a shock twist, Sir John, the former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, has announced he will contest the next general election, after standing down as MP for Huntingdon in the 2001 election.

In an announcement this afternoon at the offices of the Liberal Democrats at their headquarters in London, Sir John announced he was leaving the Tories to join the Liberal Democrats, decrying Boris Johnson as "the man who would take us backwards" and saying he could only campaign for the Liberal Democrats.

Sir John said he had been a Conservative supporter for almost 60 years, before serving in the Cabinet in Downing Street under Margaret Thatcher, and then succeeding her as Prime Minister.

He added: "But the damage he's doing to our country with his reckless promises is too much. I'm sorry I can no longer put up with the damage to our NHS, our schools and our green spaces, with a man who wants to privatise education and who's talking about the end of the NHS."

He then added "Our country is facing difficult challenges at home and abroad, and the party I joined in the 1960s had policies to deal with them. Boris Johnson has destroyed the Conservative Party and so we have to be ready to fight the next election and we have to win, and I believe that to win, we have to put people first. I have to campaign for my daughter, my son, my friends and my party - I cannot stand by and see us go backwards. After 60 years of loyal service to the Conservative Party, I have decided to give my full-time energies to the Liberal Democrats."

A Lib Dem spokesman said he was "proud and humbled" that Sir John had joined their party, saying: "He has left the Conservative Party, and given his immense political and personal support to our party. He is the best Prime Minister in modern history. He knows where we have to go to deliver a good deal for Britain, and he is ready to work with us to do it. He knows how we can create more jobs and homes for our people, to improve health services, build schools, invest in the environment and deliver better justice."

Labour MP Gareth Thomas said: "The Tory Party is about to lose a former Prime Minister, a war hero, one of its greatest and most loyal members, and many thousands of its voters."

Lord Howard of Lympne, former Home Secretary and Tory leader, said: "I am sad to see this happen, John will be a loss to us and to his many friends in the Conservative Party. I have great admiration for his commitment to public service, his leadership in the party, his dedication to his job and to the party. I cannot imagine anyone else doing what John did. He was always fair and thoughtful, and I do not think there is any more loyal a colleague. That said, his move is completely idiotic."

John Major has made a spectacular return to frontline politics,

images

Back