• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Comics of Infinite Earths: Sonic the Comics

Sonic Underground hit at exactly the right point for it to be the TV show adaptation I most strongly remember.

Good god it was weird. Really catchy themesong mind you.

Also 'Sonic the Hedgehog as leader of an underground resistance movement after Robotnik burns his childhood home down and enslaves his (adopted) parents' honestly feels like proto-@Thande bait.

My actual, serious, legitimate reaction just now on seeing this article on the frontpage:

"Wait, I don't remember writing this...?"
I was surprised as well and just about to @ you to discuss the concept of

Millenial Brit Canon.

Because in the late 1990s-2009 or so basically half of the last century's American cartoon output was brought over at the same time which led to among other things two different X-Men, two different TMNT and two different Sonic shows and four different Yugioh/Pokemon shows all airing more or less at the same time on different channels making it very hard to piece things together for a young Brit but combining in interesting ways.

I propose that a Britisher of a certain generation thus has a very unique blurred canon distinct from any other in the world as their child brain merges these different inputs into their own world.

Thoughts?

Sonic Underground hit at exactly the right point for it to be the TV show adaptation I most strongly remember.

Good god it was weird. Really catchy themesong mind you.

Also 'Sonic the Hedgehog as leader of an underground resistance movement after Robotnik burns his childhood home down and enslaves his (adopted) parents' honestly feels like proto-@Thande bait.

It was weird, dark and beautiful. Like seriously one of the darker shows around at the time.

Because in the late 1990s-2009 or so basically half of the last century's American cartoon output was brought over at the same time which led to among other things two different X-Men, two different TMNT and two different Sonic shows and four different Yugioh/Pokemon shows all airing more or less at the same time on different channels making it very hard to piece things together for a young Brit but combining in interesting ways.

Having two completely different Sonics with the same voice actor on Channel 4 and the fortnightly comic was a weird experience

Having two completely different Sonics with the same voice actor on Channel 4 and the fortnightly comic was a weird experience
As @Ares96 is still slightly alarmed by, I own the Ladybird Book of Sonic Continuity. It's remarkable just how many different versions were come up with in the space of handful of years.

Millenial Brit Canon.

I propose that a Britisher of a certain generation thus has a very unique blurred canon distinct from any other in the world as their child brain merges these different inputs into their own world.

Thoughts?
I do know what you mean, though it's a bit after my time as you're younger - but I caught some of that in the early 2000s during the university holidays watching the various American animation channels.

Millenial Brit Canon.

Thoughts?

I think you're right about that- particularly as this was also concurrent with that period of high quality live action British TV that starts with The Queen's Nose and ends with Tracy Beaker and all seem to sort of be taking place in the same sort of world aesthetic.

Back