• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Kimkatya's Kalamitous Kavern Kontaining Krap Kontent

The problem with althist is there’s always more to read, always more context you can gain. I’m completely inconfident in what I know because I never feel like it’s enough.

Everybody feels like that. You just have to go for it, anyway.

The worst most badly researched story that is written is better than the best story that never gets started. Think of what you're writing now primarily as practice and learning the art.

Which isn't to say research isn't important (and also its fun to learn about history, I read history books even when I'm not writing anything) but ultimately you're never going to know everything, sometimes you just to have trust you know enough.

Like how much research do you think published authors do when writing historical fiction? Almost certainly less than you will.

Everybody feels like that. You just have to go for it, anyway.

The worst most badly researched story that is written is better than the best story that never gets started. Think of what you're writing now primarily as practice and learning the art.

Which isn't to say research isn't important (and also its fun to learn about history, I read history books even when I'm not writing anything) but ultimately you're never going to know everything, sometimes you just to have trust you know enough.

Like how much research do you think published authors do when writing historical fiction? Almost certainly less than you will.
Thanks, Gary!
It really does all come back to the basic problem: I know how things happened, but I don’t know why, which really fucks over my allohistorical thinking, especially in terms of economics. I know nothing about how the economy works, I just know it’s there and it’s big and scary and will destroy you and your family.

The fact no one's done a proper Labour althist between 1979 and 1981 (between the election loss and the SDP fucking off) is a sin.

I know, be the change you want to see in the world, but still.
something might be in the works with that...

Not sure how much I’m going to devote to Britain because it’s an American timeline, but the gist of it is that Thatcher’s government falls in 1981 and Labour wins a minority. They go on to win big in 1982 because their government falls right around the Falklands War.

The fact no one's done a proper Labour althist between 1979 and 1981 (between the election loss and the SDP fucking off) is a sin.
I think this and 87-92 are rather under used because there considered ‘boring’ by folks because there’s no David Owen versus Tony Benn style banter.

It’s probably one of the route causes of people using Bryan Gould as ‘Soft Left Blair, but shit I guess’ without really bothering to like look him up (whereupon the realise that Gould isn’t a man who would do things by halfs). But then we also have half a dozen ‘Prezza in the 90s’ lists and I don’t really need to say much there.

Which is a shame, because 79-81 is peak ‘Peter Shore has ideas God Damnit, and he’s going to tell everyone’.

I think this and 87-92 are rather under used because there considered ‘boring’ by folks because there’s no David Owen versus Tony Benn style banter.

It’s probably one of the route causes of people using Bryan Gould as ‘Soft Left Blair, but shit I guess’ without really bothering to like look him up (whereupon the realise that Gould isn’t a man who would do things by halfs). But then we also have half a dozen ‘Prezza in the 90s’ lists and I don’t really need to say much there.

Which is a shame, because 79-81 is peak ‘Peter Shore has ideas God Damnit, and he’s going to tell everyone’.
79-81 is also what I would argue are the "peak" years for the Labour Left next to 2015-2017 in Labour, considering that the Right were losing so hard to the Left in the battles for the constitution and the Left's peak in power kind of ended with *shuffles notes*
Ken Livingstone ascending to the leadership of the GLC.
huh.
After that things began (began, it was a long process because they had ingrained themselves deep) mobilising against Militant and such.

I genuinely think you could get a successful timeline out of "Healey wins, Left increase dominance on the local level and on the NEC, even bigger SDP split in 1982 or 1983" kind of thing. Would still love a Militant wins kind of TL.

After that things began (began, it was a long process because they had ingrained themselves deep) mobilising against Militant and such.
It’s kind of funny how much of the 80s is just Labour playing whack a mole with Militant, and the forty other Trot organisations that consisted of one man, a dog and a printing press.
Ken Livingstone ascending to the leadership of the GLC.
huh.
It’s poetic in the way, but also really says a lot about the Labour Left’s battles.
I genuinely think you could get a successful timeline out of "Healey wins, Left increase dominance on the local level and on the NEC, even bigger SDP split in 1982 or 1983" kind of thing. Would still love a Militant wins kind of TL.
I do always like the idea of Denis Healey or Peter Shore having to deal with a Miners Strike and realising that Arthur Scargill is more than they bargained for.

It’s kind of funny how much of the 80s is just Labour playing whack a mole with Militant, and the forty other Trot organisations that consisted of one man, a dog and a printing press.

It’s poetic in the way, but also really says a lot about the Labour Left’s battles.

I do always like the idea of Denis Healey or Peter Shore having to deal with a Miners Strike and realising that Arthur Scargill is more than they bargained for.
Tbh I’m kind of inspired to (Maybe) try and write a tl or something based on something like this now

Can I message you privately?

so in case you've been wondering why my test thread is so dead

I have returned to my homeland of Hoi4 modding, The New Order: Last Days of Europe by stumbling in backwards via a south america submod.

AFAIK the only person this is relevant to is uh
Lord Roem, at least that's what I understand by all the burgsys memes.

Back